cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Video conference from the ground up

MarkMonteleone
Level 1
Level 1

I am inquiring in order to get feedback on some equipment and topology experiences. I need to setup a VC system where by on the networking layer I have a hub and spoke with my slowest link of 45m/b. Bandwidth isn't an issue. I have 3 sites that want to play and 3 more that are thinking about it. I need to have the all the sites to be interactive with all the other sites. Assuming that I have the proper bandwidth and that QoS is taken care of...

1. Does it matter what end units I use? Polycom, Tandberg, Cisco?

2. Is a CCM a must?

3. What components are mandotory? Do I need a Video switch/hub at the core?

1 Reply 1

roturner
Level 1
Level 1

You can use any endpoint that supports either H323 or SCCP. If you wanted to work with CCM then you could set as H323 devices but Tandberg have SCCP devices already. For multiple endpoints to be in a conference then you need a MCU and Tandberg have these built into their codecs if you get a key to enable or Cisco have a 3511/E or 3540 depending on ow many concurrent conferences there will be. For you it may be best to go H323 then all you need would be a gatekeeper (Cisco MCM code) Cisco 3511E and endpoints. Cost may say Tandberg endpoints with the multisite feature therefore no need for an additional MCU. If the calls will be only point to point then all you need are the endpoints and connect via ip address.

Hope that gives you some good ideas.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: