cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Video Conference required bandwidth

Hi,

I have 8 sites that will do video conference

HQ will be connected to 7 branches

I need to calculate the bandwidth required for a video conference call between them . The telepresence server is in HQ

So I think I'll have bandwidth for outgoing stream from all sites

I need to know how much the bandwidth that will be incoming for the branches which will carry the multiplexed stream that is coming from the bridge

Also how much bandwidth required for HQ ? is it 7 incoming + 8 outgoing ? or how much ?

Also is these values correct?

full HD = 4 M

HD = 3 M

SD = 2 M

And is it true that I can control the output bandwidth from each endpoint to be full HD , HD , SD or even  384 ?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If you connect each call at 4Mbps, then that is what the bandwidth will be used between the TelePresence Server and each endpoint, the single 4Mbps connection will contain both incoming and outgoing video.  The recommended bandwidth I listed in my first reply is what is suggested for SX and MX endpoints.

View solution in original post

The TelePresence Server will send a single composited video stream of all endpoints to each that are connected in the conference. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The resolution used between the TelePresence Server and endpoint is directly related to the amount of bandwidth used, and the network quality.  You don't mention what endpoints you're using, but for a single-screen endpoint, the suggested minimum bandwidth for resolution/frame rate for HD and FullHD is:

• 720p30 from 768 kbps
  • 720p60 from 1152 kbps
  • 1080p30 from 1472 kbps
  • 1080p60 from 2560 kbps

The TelePresence Server will need to have enough bandwidth to support each endpoint's connection into it.  Each site that contains an endpoint will need to have enough bandwidth for that endpoint so it can connect to the TelePresence Server.

Also, the bandwidth used will be for shared between audio, video, and presentation content.

Thanks a lot Patrick for your reply

The main issue I care for. what exactly the required bandwidth per site

For the endpoints, we'll use MX200 and SX20

So I guess the HD call will consume 4 M

So for 10 remote branches with MCU on HQ

We'll have 4 M coming from each branch

So HQ will be 4X10 = 40 M incoming and each branch will need 4 M outgoing

Then the outgoing stream from the MCU will be the composed stream of the 10 branches

Is it also 40 M ? or less ?

And how it'll be delivered to branches ? it'll be in 4 M only or more ?

Finally the branch then will have outgoing 4 M and incoming will be the composed stream

So how much bandwidth do we need for branch and HQ in this case taking into consideration incoming and outgoing streams ?

Is 4 M is right value for HD stream for the above endpoints ?

Thanks again

If you connect each call at 4Mbps, then that is what the bandwidth will be used between the TelePresence Server and each endpoint, the single 4Mbps connection will contain both incoming and outgoing video.  The recommended bandwidth I listed in my first reply is what is suggested for SX and MX endpoints.

Hi Patrick,

Only one other question,

The MCU will send the outgoing collocated stream to the branches which will be 4 X 10 = 40 M bandwidth

I think this will be sent to the branches in unicast that service provider won't guarantee multicast

The question is for branches, will it need to receive the 40 M bandwidth or it will be decreased to the unit rate to 4 M ? And will this affect the conference quality in branches ?

Thanks

As I mentioned in my previous reply, if you connect an endpoint located in a branch office at 4Mbps, than that endpoint will only use 4Mbps between it and the TelePresence Server.  The 40Mbps in your example will be used at the TelePresence Server where all the endpoints are connected.

Conference quality can be affected due to network issues, such as packet loss, it all depends on how the network is setup between the offices, if it's a LAN you manage or if it's the public internet.

Only I don't understand how the endpoint in the branch can receive the MCU output composed stream which is 40 M

And will this received stream will still be HD 

The video sent to the endpoints won't be 40Mbps, that is the bandwidth required at the TelePresence Server.  For example, if you have 10 endpoints, calling into a conference on the TelePresence Server with a call rate of 4Mbps.  Then the network the TelePresence Server is located on needs to be able to support a bandwidth of up to 40Mbps (4Mbps per endpoint).  The TelePresence Server will combine all the video from the various endpoints into a single video stream and send it to each endpoint through the 4Mbps connection.

Again, you'll have HD video as long as you connect the endpoints using the recommended bandwidth I mentioned in my earlier replies.

So the MCU output stream is only 4 M?

and if the receiving endpoint is tuned to less than 4M as to 2 M

Will the endpoint itself lower the received rate ? Or how the sent stream from MCU is reduced at the receiving endpoint

It is the point that confusing me 

Maybe the thread quick-video-bandwidth-question might help understand it better than I'm explaining.

Yes I got your explanation good

only my last question was what is the output from MCU

it will be 10 streams in response to each incoming endpoint stream with the same rate of the sending endpoint ?

or the MCU stream out only one stream with a predefined rate to all the sending endpoints ?

thanks a lot for replies and help

The TelePresence Server will send a single composited video stream of all endpoints to each that are connected in the conference.