Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP home lab with cisco 2620 and VIC-2FXO port

p.blavier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I m considering building a home lab for studying CCVP, the lab would be based on the follow components :

- CUCM 8.X (already installed)

- A couple of soft phones running in VMWARE with IP Blue and CIPC (they are already in place and registered with the CUCM)

- Cisco router 2620 with NM-2V and VIC-2FXO-M2 (for europe, I'm in France)

so here are my questions :

1/ it looks like the NM-2V comes with integrated DSP, so I should not need more DSP, I have got one PSTN analogic line only so I can make only one call at a time, please confirm

2/ my analog line comes via my home internet provider dsl box, i have already tried to connect an analog phone and it works, please confirm the router will be able to receive and place calls

thanks for your help, I m looking forward to begin my voice lab

4 Replies 4

Gregory Garrian
Level 1
Level 1

You should have no problems with the analog line.  Just plug it into an FXO port and configure the dial peer.

You should be all set for basic functionality with the DSP on board.  You may need more if you want to do more (setting up media resourses, conferencing, etc.)

Check this link for more info on the NM-2V regarding DSPs:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/vvf_c/interop/intcnf2.html#wp1052571

Thanks for your reply gregory

The link you provided is for NM-HDXx modules, i ll get a nm-2v module

I know nm-2v has dsp but i was not able to find any details about this

Thx again for replying

1. Yes, the NM-2V has built-in DSP resources for up to four calls (max voice port density with two 1st generation VICs). You cannot add further DSP chips to the NM-1V/2V, nor would you need to for what it does. You have one PSTN phone line, thus you can only make one call at a time. If you had a second line you could use the other FXO port for a second concurrent call.

2. If the phone line works then it will work with the router to make and receive calls. As Gregory said, just configure dial peers for what you need to do.

Here is some info on the NM-2V:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2617/products_tech_note09186a0080094ac0.shtml

thanks darktek20, everything clear now

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: