Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Codec Dual Display settings

Alexicon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am deploying Webex Room Kit Pro and Webex Room Kit Mini codecs, with dual-displays.

I left all the video options on "auto", and I notice that when we enter a call, the far end video is always displayed on the lowest connector, and the display on the 2nd connector is blank until content is shared (either from near or far end)

Apart from duplicating the displays so that connector 2 is using the "first" connector roll, what are my options for using the second display when no content is being shared or previewed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick McCarthy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First thing - the Mini only has one video output. You can split it to two screens if you want (with an external splitter) but both will be the same. 

To your question (assuming we're talking about the Pro now) - what are you connecting to? If it's a point to point call, what do you want on the second screen? In that scenario you are only receiving one video stream, so it will only use one display. If you are dialing into a Webex Meeting, Webex will send you two streams in that scenario - you would get a split screen on #2 and voice switch full screen on #1. 

Bottom line - if whatever you're connecting to is only sending you one stream and there is no content, there is nothing to put on screen 2 - what is it you want to display there?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Patrick McCarthy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First thing - the Mini only has one video output. You can split it to two screens if you want (with an external splitter) but both will be the same. 

To your question (assuming we're talking about the Pro now) - what are you connecting to? If it's a point to point call, what do you want on the second screen? In that scenario you are only receiving one video stream, so it will only use one display. If you are dialing into a Webex Meeting, Webex will send you two streams in that scenario - you would get a split screen on #2 and voice switch full screen on #1. 

Bottom line - if whatever you're connecting to is only sending you one stream and there is no content, there is nothing to put on screen 2 - what is it you want to display there?

Alexicon
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you, Patrick, this really helped clear up my understanding of how the codecs handle point to point vs Webex calls.

I had been testing point to point, and I now understand why only content would show up -- I was hoping that until there was content, either self view would be displayed, or the primary stream would be doubled -- a grey screen made me think perhaps something was "broken", or misconfigured.

I also just found this posting that mentions the Multistream feature: https://community.cisco.com/t5/telepresence-and-video/dual-video-on-webex-room-kits/td-p/3927808 

Between your response and my understanding of the Multistream feature, I now feel equipped to explain to the end-user if they ask about the behavior of the secondary display.

Hi Alexicon - you can have full screen selfview on the second screen if you want, but highly recommend you don't. Selfview, even if just a small PIP image, is very distracting to the people in the room. Think of it this way - telepresence meetings are supposed to make your meetings like face to face, right? When you meet someone face to face you don't hold up a mirror to see what they are seeing though - that's basically what selfview would be. I understand you might want to check to make sure the camera shot is what you want/expect, but check and turn it off IMHO. 

Hope this helps!

Hi @Patrick McCarthy,

In a situation with multistream data, say using microsoft teams through Webex, are there any layout options we can present, or will the monitors display whatever the multistream session dictates for each output?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: