cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex codec pro - RS232 Support

crestronprgm
Level 1
Level 1

Have any information regarding this being supported?  It all appears like it should from the codec interface.  Connected using same USB adapter make/model that has previously worked with SX products on Crestron systems.  Tried 2 of them.  No talkback or response to commands was ever received.  SSH works fine, but control hardware is typically segregated on the network from VTC equipment.  For this client (who wishes to upgrade a large number of rooms), serial control is highly desired to ease the transition on the control systems. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The Codec Pro has a real/dedicated serial port, labeled as COM with a euroblock connector. Why would you want to shove a USB UART in the middle?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The Codec Pro has a real/dedicated serial port, labeled as COM with a euroblock connector. Why would you want to shove a USB UART in the middle?

I went off the word of the install techs in the field, and found corroborating information in the admin guide about using a USB A port. I admittedly haven’t seen the rear end of it personally, one of the downsides of remote automation programming. If this is true, I thank you for the information and I want my 2 hours back. Haha.

Jonathan,

I appreciate you pointing out this obvious thing for me.  I did verify that the administrator guide specifies explicitly that "The micro-USB port is for maintenance. If you want to access the video system's API over a serial connection, connect to the USB port (type A). Refer to the API guide for details."  (page 204)

When I was told (incorrectly) it didn't have a connection, this information sealed it for me and I had "tunnel vision" on that being the only solution, even though the port is right there in front of me on the back panel drawings.  The dedicated port does work without issue.

Thanks again,

-Dustin

Jonathan - Thank You!   I totally missed it as well.  We just got done wiring to the euroblock connector and BOOM, our programmers are back in business.  Very much appreciated!

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: