cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Codec Pro versus Codec Plus

Scott Nieto
Level 1
Level 1

Is the Pro Codec more powerful than the Plus Codec? I know the Pro device has more various types of inputs and outputs but is the codec itself more powerful? Is the Pro codec better at encoding and decoding data to/from audio and video?

7 Replies 7

b.winter
VIP
VIP

I guess google is your friend, to search for the data sheets, which contain all the technical information.

Also this site https://projectworkplace.cisco.com/products maybe helps for other questions.

--- Please rate this post as "Helpful" or accept as a solution, if your question has been answered ---

Thank you, I have looked through the data sheets, and I end up with my question. I don't see any difference in the codecs.

b.winter
VIP
VIP

What you mean then with "more powerful"? Everything about the video / audio specs you get from the datasheet. You won't get any information about CPU kernels, speed, RAM config, ...

The ability to encode and decode audio and video signals. Is one more efficient, faster, etc., than the other?

While I don't have any definitive proof I do believe that the Pro has more power to process audio and video. We specifically started to standardize on the Pro for our permanent installations and use the Plus on our mobile cards. We have two reasons:

• The Pro has more config options using the Audio Console. We integrate the Codecs into our audio mixers and the control is important. Our mobile carts are generally stand alone.
  • We have more options to composite video with the Pro due to the number of inputs. Again with fix mounted equipment we are more likely to use multiple camera views and need them composited for use in Webex.

I hope this helped.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks. I do realize the Pro has more options.

Hello,

I do not know whether it would be useful for you or not as there are already similar replies to your question. But, here are few things I would like to highlight;

1. cisco code pro has more input and out terminals for audio and video and hence, it could be used for larger systems containing more number of peripheral (audio visual) devices.

2. there could be difference in terms of the price and processing speed which I have not yet given my attention.

All in all, it is quite intitutive that the cisco code pro has more flexibility in terms of number of inputs and outputs (both audio and video). Additionally , the pro has got 2 PoE ports that could be used for touch panel, however, the cisco codec plus has only one PoE Port.

Regard,

Sanjeeb