Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is a VCS and VCSe?

Hello folks,

I am new to this whole concept of Video infrastructure and trying to learn things.

Can someone give me a quick brief of what is a VCS and VCSe and thier main functionalities in any VC environment.

Thanks,

~K.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Good information provided by Amit.  I would add, in laymens terms, the following description of VCS and VCS-E:

If you are familiar at all with CUCM - then think of VCS, which sits on the internal network, as the Call Control platform for video endpoints.  By video endpoints - think room based physical video servers often called "codecs" or software clients like Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence.

Do not confuse the use of "codec" here with the concept of a codec like G.711.  The VCS acts as a SIP proxy and an H.323 GK - meaning your video endpoints can talk SIP or H323 to register to the VCS.

The VCS-E, which typically sits in a firewall DMZ, support external video endpoints.  By that, I mean it enables the ability of someone sitting "outside" of your company, to establish a video call to a video endpoint physcally inside of your companies firewall.

Once you install the VCS software - a VCS-E software key can be installed which then "makes" this VCS a VCS-E. So basically they use the same underlying software installation and a simple key is what makes that platform a VCS-E.

Good luck!

Amir

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amehla
Cisco Employee