cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why E20 URI includes protocol token while VCS cannot handle it?

marekjp2450
Level 1
Level 1

A whole bunch of problems with a pre-owned E20 made me to install the latest firmware (4.1.2). with that, the e20 registered with my VCS StarterPack. It received the calls allright, but calling out didn't work ("Outgoing" option set to Yes). After a while I discovered that e20 send the callee URI with the sip: protocol token included. VCS (!!!) clearly cannot handle this format and it responds with "user not found" without even going thru transforms and search rules. Consequently, I cannot fix it. BTW, VCS does no leave a trace of rejecting the URI in logs and hostories - it is a full stealth.

I have few questions:

1. how do i fix it?

2. is this a known problem? if it is, how come it has not been fixed? This seems to me as a "critical" issue...

3. how is it even possible for a vendor to ship a device that is not compatible with its own infrastructure?

E20 has a bunch of other very serious software problems, like inability to properly set up IP address after swicthing from DHCP to static, the setup wizard disconnected from advanced configuration settings, and  the device display showing different configuration values than the XML configuration file (for instance, setting SIP to ON has does nothing, configuration file shows SIP being off, and CLI  interface has to be used to activate it). I wonder, am I confused, or is Cisco shipping a prototype? As far as I can see, E20 has no right to work out of the box.....

Any insights will be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

gubadman
Level 3
Level 3

If you've got this 2nd hand I'd strongly recommend you factory reset it. The key sequence: * * laptop # # will do this.

As you are using a Starter Pack, SIP Outbound should be off, not on, as you do not have multiple SIP Registrars to register the e20 against at the same time.

Thanks,
Guy

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would start with factory defauling the e20, keep  sip outbound disabled,

read the endpoint&vcs admin and the vcs starter pack deployment guides to get a feeling what has to be set up.

Btw, a VCS out of the box has only a lookup for locally registered devices, so if you for example

do not have a dns zone and search rule it might explain what you are seeing here.

Also be aware that if you use NAT on the VCS-IP you will need to have the dual-interface option

which also requires some other things to take care, ...

If you use the starter pack you can also provision the e20.

What do you refer to as the "xml configuration file"?

Its a known bug/feature that if you set a static ip you also have to set a gateway, if not the static setting

would be ignored.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify