cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FLAT connectivity problems - virl.ini changes not taking effect

ca_virl_user
Level 1
Level 1

We can't successfully connect VIRL to our lab network using FLAT interfaces. My team's RTFM, and followed two step-by-step user guides we discovered on this website. The problem is, the changes we make to VIRL.INI don't take effect despite reboots.

When I say they "don't take effect", I mean to say the corresponding VIRL IOSv router interface is still auto-assigned a static 172.16.1.x address. If I change its configuration to "ip address dhcp", it's dynamically assigned a 172.16.1.x address. As you can see below, we tried re-assigning both FLAT and FLAT1. An IOSv router interface is configured to access the FLAT Interface.

Any help or ideas appreciated. We can provide same-day answers to any questions.

## First flat connection (AKA flat)

## Physical Port and virtual bridge for L2 bridge

## Default

l2_port: eth1

## l2 network

## l2_network format is address/cidr format x.x.x.x/x

## Default

l2_network: 10.111.112.0/23

l2_mask: 255.255.254.0

## If default access method is via openvpn last octet should be .254

l2_network_gateway: 10.111.112.1

## l2 bridge first and last address for dhcp allocation

## Default

l2_start_address: 10.111.112.111

l2_end_address: 10.111.112.115

## address on the L2 bridge port for debugging?

## Default is

l2_address: 10.111.112.116/23

## Nameservers for DHCP on flat network (aka flat)

## Substitute with DNS server addresses that are reachable

## Google's public DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

##

## Don't set them to identical addresses

##

## Defaults are

first_flat_nameserver: 8.8.8.8

second_flat_nameserver: 8.8.4.4

## Second flat connection (AKA flat1)

## Physical Port and virtual bridge for L2 bridge

l2_port2_enabled: True

## Default is enabled

l2_port2: eth2

## l2 network (AKA flat1)

## l2_network format is address/cidr format x.x.x.x/x

l2_network2: 10.111.114.0/23

l2_mask2: 255.255.254.0

l2_network_gateway2: 10.111.114.1

## l2 bridge first and last address for dhcp allocation

l2_start_address2: 10.111.114.111

l2_end_address2: 10.111.114.115

## address on the second L2 bridge port for debugging?

## Default is

l2_address2: 10.111.114.116/23

## Nameservers for DHCP on second flat network (aka flat1)

## Substitute with DNS server addresses that are reachable

## Google's public DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

##

## Don't set them to identical addresses

##

## Defaults are

first_flat2_nameserver: 8.8.8.8

second_flat2_nameserver: 8.8.4.4

References:

Configuring_External_Connectivity_with_Cisco_VIRL-v1.pdf - 30508 - The Cisco Learning Network

2 Replies 2

Hi there @ca_virl_user

I am hoping by now that you have resolved the issue.  If you haven't, one of the things that i have noticed about VIRL is that you should never change anything manually through the /etc/virl.ini or /etc/networking/interface files.  All changes should be made through the UWM page (accessed by the ip address given to eth0) and applied through there.  Steps are pretty straight forward.  Log in as uwmadmin, go to "VIRL server", then to "System configuration", "Networks" and change the settings to the FLAT network that you want.  WARNING!!!: changing any of these settings will trigger a sudo vinstall rehost which can take 30mins to an hour to complete! Honestly unless you really want to change them, you are better of finding another solution like change your ip range of your network you want to connect to (if it is only a small test network).

Hope that clears things up

Hi ca_virl_user.

I'm having a similar issue with changes to the virl.ini file not actually taking effect.  I'm hesitant to make changes via the UWM as a) length of time for the change to be processed and b) in many cases issues such as nova services have crashed after the change so I don't fully trust the UWM.

In your case, I believe the issue is the 172.16.1.0/24 network for the FLAT mgmt-lxc connector is declared in more then the virl.ini file.

For example, look at the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Just a thought.

Dyland

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: