Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to share One VDC among multiple groups

Shyam Gopal
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the scenario.

Customer has multiple Clients with 1 to 3 VMs dedicated to each Client, in a SaaS type situation. The Client does not have access to the VM per se, but is only able to access the applications running in the VM (i.e no UCSD access).

This customer has the following requirements :

1. Ability to deploy Web server VMs and SQL VMs in different Clusters (Resource Pools)

2. Ability to get show back reports based on VMs dedicated to the Client

3. Support around 400+ Clients

Customer wants to :

1. Create a separate Group for each Client to track usage.

2. Deploy only ONE VDC, and all Client VMs must reside in this VDC.

3. Show back reports based on Group and VM

2. Configure the catalogs to deploy VMs to different ResourcePools based on application type

Is this possible ? If so how should the Group / VDC relationship be structured ?

Will the "Group Share Policy" help in any way ?

Will a custom workflow meet the requirement ? If so what should it do ?

Thanks for reading, any help would be much appreciated.

- Shyam

3 Replies 3

guthrie
Level 4
Level 4

I do not believe so.  The security model of UCS Director is such that vDCs can really own be owned by one group.  You'll probably have to use individual vDCs as vDCs/Groups are only allowed in a one-to-one fashion.

If you expand the solution to include something like Microsoft's Private Cloud solution, then what you are asking to do is very possible.  Microsoft's Private Cloud can manage both Hyper-V and ESX as hypervisors.  Then Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager would manage the virtual data center.

Shyam Gopal
Level 1
Level 1

To answer the various questions raised in the original post ….

1. The definitive answer is that, a group can have many VDCs, however a VDC can be owned by one and only one group.

2. chargeback reporting is by VDC, can change this to report by VM

3. UCSD likes to take control of VM placement, however It should theoretically be possible to place a VM in one of the clusters in a VDC by modifying the task in the deployment workflow. I have not been able to achieve this yet, I'll report back once it is done.

Cisco UCS X-Series Energy Efficiency Offer