Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS D Use input from a text gen_input as a predefined answer as input

odahlqvist
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Experts

I am making a workflow in UCS D and need to put in some mandatory fields and it would be nice to use the same answer as input on different questions even with diffrent  text input descriptions still the text description should be different. 

How can I make input answer ( gen_text)  in UCS Director as output and then input  to predefined ( changeable) input  ( gen_text) to   another Input question  so I can lower the number of inputs that the user need to put in.

is that possible ?

/Ola

11 Replies 11

Orf Gelbrich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am sure I follow your question.  if a workflow has 5 inputs you only want to put in 3 and the other 2 come from where? You could put in a ${var} into the admin over ride section

Hi Orf

My idea was that the 5 inputs would be 3 and the other 2 should be filed with 2 from the 3 so you get some type pre-filled info if you want But you should be able to change the 2 if you have more specific info.

so if you don't have any specific input to all  inputs,  3 would  be enough to get info to all 5 and we are  getting 2 inputs from the other 3,     like in the description that info would come from the name that must be filled in like in ACI

I solved one issue with using the same input on both inputs , but then  I don´t have the opportunity change the description  if we want to..

confusing ?

ex here i have 2 inputs that is needed can we get input 2 to be  pre- filed from 1  but changeable if we want , and the pre filled should come from input 1.

ACI.PNG

Hi Orf

You gave me inspiration could I use admin section ?? ${VAR??} and use part of a PRE input as pre filled so like if the tenant name inACI is like SEC-200 and then the VRF and BD should be prefixed with this " ${VAR??}" like

AP:

SEC-200-AP-PROD01

${VAR??}-AP-PROD1

VRF

SEC-200-VRF01

${VAR??}-VRF01

BD:

SEC-200-BD01

${VAR??}-BD01

can that be done and how should you configure that

So I do a lot of these things...

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 6.03.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 6.03.29 AM.png

I have one input ${OWNER} . the name of what ever I create and I user that through out the workflow and glue on the SR ID to make it unique in case I want to run this in parallel.

Example here: UCSD - Glass House new LAB Build out (ks.cfg example) (Parallel ESXi Deployment)(Pure Disk Create)(SSH MDS example)

I also like to use variables that provide me with lots of information and I then chop up the output and put it into the right variable types...

This variable gives me lots of information:

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 6.13.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 6.13.41 AM.png

and then I have my chopper task in the workflow:

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 6.14.03 AM.png

and here is what it cuts out for me:

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 6.14.36 AM.png

In this example the input is in form A@B and I am looking for B and I throw A away.

Hi

Is this correct I can´t get the input to be used the result is just a text

Hi

okay still confused

is this correct , the result is just a text line i can´t get the variable to get in there ACI-4.PNG

if the previous variable is ${Name-For-New-Tenant} that should work.  I usually use that string in my task inputs.

FYI - the "-" in your name in Linux is a flag.  You may run into issues down the line.  Remember UCSD is Cent OS under the hood.   I would use Name_for_New_Tenant or NameForNewTenant.

Take a look at this example...with LOV's and the ${env} variable

UCSD List of Value (LOV) Tutorial (Multi Select Check Box LOV from CSV file)

Hi Orf

It worked when I used the lowercase in the name

Before that it did not worked

send me some pictures ogelbric@cisco.com with what worked and what did not... I'll send it on to some BU people... thx

Hi Orf

In this picture, if you use underscore in the name it works and if you don’t as the rest if the names it does not work as a variable

So the Name_For_New_Tenant forks as Admin input value and show up in ACI as the description if you use UNDERSCORE as you said

/Ola

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Cisco UCS X-Series Energy Efficiency Offer