midupont
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Version NumberComments
1.0Initial Version

Workflow Name:

AddComputerSpecificOU

Description: 

This Workflow makes a WMI call from a VIX script to create the computer object in a specific OU.

Compatible UCS Director Versions:

UCS Director 5.1

Category:   

Virtualization

Components:

Cisco UCS Director

Prerequisites:

• A Catalog item to provision a Windows VM in vCenter
  • A VDC whose service delivery policy adds the VM to a workgroup
  • The credentials of the Windows template
  • Domain credentials with permission to add computers to the domain

Custom Tasks Included:

1. Execute VIX Script (custom task is required in order to create a script longer than 255 characters)

Workflow Tasks Included:

1. Execute VIX Script custom task

User Inputs:

The below user inputs should be provided by user after executing the workflow.

User InputUser Input Description
Selected VM contextThis is automatic if running the workflow as a post-provisioning process to a standard catalog

Admin Inputs:

The Admin Input values are pre-defined in the workflow by the admin user. Edit the Workflow properties, go to user inputs section and modify the below inputs appropriately.

User Input User Input Description
DomainPasswordEnter the Password of the account with permission to add computers to the domain

Workflow Additional Configuration:

The VIX script must be edited and the following text must be replaced with the appropriate values for the destination environment: mydomain, com, administrator, mysubOU, myOU.  Additionaly the login and password fields for the VIX script need to be updated with the username and password credentials of the Windows template.

Instructions for Use:

1. Download the attached .WFDX file below to your computer. *Remember the location of the saved file on your computer.
  2. Log in to UCS Director as a user that has "system-admin" privileges.
  3. Navigate to "Policies-->Orchestration" and click on "Import".
  4. Click "Browse" and navigate to the location on your computer where the .WFDX file resides. Choose the .WFDX file and click "Open".
  5. Click "Upload" and then "OK" once the file upload is completed, Then click "Next".
  6. Click "Import".
  7. A new folder called "Michael Dupont" should appear in "Policies-->Orchestration" that contains the imported workflow. You will now need to update the included tasks with information about the specific environment. (See Above)

Unknown.png

Note:

The \ is the UCSD escape character.  Since this is the case any time a \ needs be passed through a VIX script then it needs to be proceeded by a \.  This means that all file paths need to be of the form of c:\\windows\\system32.  If VIX has a UCSD variable the we need to double escape.  in other words all \\ turn into \\\\.

Comments
mohitkshirsagar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Michael

I was trying out your workflow to invoke a script in a Linux VM. The Linux VM has VMTools installed and I can succesfuly invoke a script or command using PowerCLI. Howvere when I am try to do the same using the UCSD VIX Script task I am not seeing any results. I am not sure if the UCSD is even able to login to the VM.

Any pointers to get the some troubleshooting information about this. At this stage i am just trying to run 'ifconfig > /netconf.log'. How can verify that the UCSD VIX script is actually trying to communicate with the VM?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Mohit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links