Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8.5 CUCM and CUC 8.5 Upgrade to CUCM / CUC 11.5 Recommendations

Hello:

I have a situation whereby I have a started a new role and the following is the situation:

Existing Environment:  8.5 CUCM / CUC

New Environment:    An "Empty / blank" Configuration of VMWare Virtual Machines with the V11.5 CUCM Publisher / Subscribers ISOs Loaded and installed.

The issue that I am facing is that I need to migrate the existing 8.5 CUCM / CUC Database / Configuration over and advised / being pushed back to not use PCD.  Initially, I would of stood up the blank VMs, configured the PCD Virtual Machine, identifying the ISOs and performing the upgrade in this manner.

I am thinking of Exporting data from the 8 5 CUCM / CUC Environment and importing back into the 11.5 CUCM / CUC Environment.  From what I realize there will be new "fields" within the 11.5 CUCM / CUCM Environment and this export / import idea may not work well. 

In addition, DRS / BARS will not work due to the incompatibility of the versions.  Can you recommend any tips / guidelines on the V8.5 CUCM to v11.5 Upgrade to follow without having to delete the newly created blank 11.5 CUCM / CUC Virtual Machines?  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

COBRAS for CUC, but you're left with BAT and a lot of manual modification to adjust to the other version's format for CUCM if you don't want to do a PCD migration, or install the same release on new servers, DRS restore and then upgrade.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime:

Thank you for you response.  For CUC 8.5 to 11.5  - I am clear on the COBRAS.  Are there any other steps that are necessary for a successful migration?

For CUCM 8.5  to 11.5 - 
i) Left with BAT - there are approximately 250+ Phones and should not be a major task.

ii) Lots of manual modification to adjust to the other version's format for CUCM - how many and what type of modifications are necessary?  Is there any formal documentation that you can direct me to?

iii) install the same release on new servers, DRS restore and then upgrade - The new server environment already has CUCM V11.5 and CUC 11.5 pre-installed from the ISOs and Networking enabled.  In essence, its a fresh 11.5 CUCM / CUC Install with no configuration.  This is the crux of the issue that has been inherited and i am trying to find an expedient approach for the upgrade. 

AM

Just make sure to review the COBRAS help to understand what IS migrated and what IS NOT migrated.

No, there is no documentation on how to do this, you basically get a BAT export from each version, then compare them, and adjust as necessary.

I honestly see no reason why not to simply delete those blank installs and use PCD.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate