cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A question for the Unity Connection 8 administrators out there...

jonmo2578
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We are currently in the process of migrating to Cisco Unity Connection 8.5.1 from our current version 4.2

One of the key differences to our current setup is that we will now be running in VM rather than on a physical dedicated server.

Our Unity Connection server has been created in VM and installed ( to the Cisco spec, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/requirements/8xcucsysreqs.html ) and the system is working fine in the test environment, although slightly sluggish.

Something which we have noticed in RTMT which we consider unusual is the rather high CPU usage for a server which is only running in a test environment with only 10 users.

The CPU usage is consistently sat around the 66% mark ( see attachments ) even when idle, with two main process running in the background being Unityoninit# and Tomcat… Is this usage normal ?.

We have cleanly rebuilt Unity connection again and have noticed that the CPU usage is still around the 66% mark even before any users are created..

I am hoping that I could benchmark this CPU usage percentage against those of you out there with Unity Connection 8.5 installed on VMware or even on a dedicated physical server to see if this is normal for this version of Unity.

Any feedback would be much appreciated..

Using Dell Poweredge 2950 ( VMware certified by Cisco )..

Also tested on HP Proliant DL380 G5

Running VMware 4.x

OVA template used, CUC_5000_user_v<version>_vmv7.ova  ( http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/release/notes/851cucrn.html#wp656616 )

Thanks.

Jon.

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The CPU should definitely not be that high as even for a busy large environment you rarely see it go that high.

Which OVA template did you install it on and what is your server model?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply..

Ok, thats good to know that the CPU is not right at 66% ( we did think so ! )..

We are using the OVA template, CUC_5000_user_v_vmv7.ova, as recommended on the Cisco doc

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/release/notes/851cucrn.html#wp656616

We have tried Unity Connection on a Dell Poweredge 2950 ( VMware certified by Cisco ) and also on a HP Proliant DL380 GL5 ( cisco recommended box ) and get the same high CPU on both..

Running VMware 4.x

Jon.

So, youvirtualized UCON on non-Cisco server?  Did you ensure you met the guidelines for Spec based deployment documented here:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/UC_Virtualization_Supported_Hardware

Dell is definitely not supported, I doubt any of the proliant servers are supported as I don't think they have supported CPU model as documented above.

When you say Cisco recommended, this is true for non-virtualized bare-metal deployments where Cisco MCS server (OEM HP Prolient or IBM) were used, but virtualized deployments are completely different, where if you are no using TRC Cisco UCS hardware you need to follow very stringent guidelines for spec based hardware deployments.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Hi Jon

As Chris says, Dell hardware is NOT supported by Cisco for VMWare deployments, however that being said, I have it running in a number of places and I don't see high CPU issues.

I would also strongly urge you to go to version 8.6 rather than 8.5. There are a number of bugs in 8.5(1) which are fixed in subsequent releases.

From one of my test servers running BE5000 with about 10 users defined (and running 8.6).

Uptime:
16:02:49 up 35 days,  6:52,  1 user,  load average: 3.69, 3.78, 2.98

CPU Idle:   95.57%  System:   00.99%    User:   00.00%
  IOWAIT:   03.45%     IRQ:   00.00%    Soft:   00.00%   Intr/sec: 515.84

Memory Total:        6097688K
        Free:         216048K
        Used:        5881640K
      Cached:         934300K
      Shared:              0K
     Buffers:          98572K

Total            Free            Used
Disk/active         26657340K       17011300K        9370848K (36%)
Disk/inactive       26657372K       25105208K         176200K (1%)
Disk/logging        92738892K       65622908K       22329020K (26%)

HTH.

Barry Hesk

Network Consultant

Intrinsic Network Solutions

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: