Helpful
Replies

AMA Forum- Cisco Unified Communications Manager CUCM Install & Upgrade

Community Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ask Me Anything Forum

Cisco Unified Communications Manager CUCM Installation & Upgrade

Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Unified CM) provides reliable, secure, scalable, and manageable call control and session management. Transform your workspaces: Attract and retain the best talent wherever they are and enable them to be productive by giving them Cisco Unified CM. The solution has the tools to help them succeed, with extensive features to support mobile and remote workers.

• A regional, family-run business or a global mega-brand? Choose a solution that scales as your organization’s needs change. Cisco Unified CM supports the needs of small and midsize businesses through to the largest enterprises with up to 80,000 users.
  • Cisco Unified CM supports industry standards, a wide range of gateways, and a broad ecosystem of third-party integrations and solutions plus partners. This results in a rich collaboration with anyone, anywhere and embeds collaboration in your line-of-business applications.
  • Cisco Unified CM supports the latest authentication, encryption, and communication protocols. It complies with key industry certifications and provides secure data and communications for customers in financial services, manufacturing, retail, and government across the globe.

Our experts have a deep understanding of Cisco Collaboration Suite. Join them in the Ask Me Anything session to help you to unfold the secrets of Cisco Unified CM installation and upgrades.

To participate in this event, please use the reply.jpg button below to ask your questions

Ask questions from Monday, May 23 to Friday, June 3, 2022

Our experts

mjunnur.jpgManjunath Junnur is a Technical Consulting Engineer with the Collaboration Backbone team in the Asia Pacific time zone. He has over 10 years of Cisco Unified Collaboration experience. He is currently associated with CUCM TAC and works closely on CUCM installations and upgrades. He holds the Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) Collaboration, SIP School Certified Associate, and VCP certifications.

jomaugus.jpgJomon Augustine is a Technical Consulting Engineer with the CUCM Backbone team in the Asia Pacific time zone. He has around 16 years of Cisco Unified Collaboration experience. He is currently associated with CUCM TAC and previously was part of the UCCX TAC Team. He holds the Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Collaboration certification.

mshoeb.jpgMohammed Shoeb is a Technical Consulting Engineer with the Collaboration Backbone team in the Asia Pacific time zone. He has over 10 years of Cisco Unified Collaboration experience. He is currently associated with CUCM TAC and works closely on CUCM installations and upgrades. He holds the Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) Collaboration certification.

For more information please visit; Collaboration / Unified Communications Infrastructure.

* This event is free and open to all audiences, including business partners, network and telecommunications engineers, students, and Cisco customers.

13 Replies 13

VON CLAWSON
Level 3
Level 3

Having an issue upgrading Unity Connection from 10.5.2 to 14. 

The first time I tried I got the error "an unknown error occurred while accessing the upgrade file"

I tried again after rebooting and got the error "premature end of file"

I thought maybe that the file was corrupted so I re-downloaded it and tried again.

Again I got the "an unknown error occurred while accessing the upgrade file"

I looked through the install log and found an error in there "<subscriber ip> must have the primary server state for exporting of CUC data to succeed"

So I made sure that the subscriber was primary before starting. this last one said there were no error messages. 

Please rate if this helps.

Hi Von
Thanks for sharing this info on Unity Connection.
Hope you were able to resolve this issue after you made the subscriber as primary.

If any further issues please let us know.

I guess I wasn’t clear. The last time still failed but said there were no error messages for the failure. I need some help to figure out why this is failing.

Please rate if this helps.

This smells TAC a long way. It’s not very likely that you would find help in the community for this.

Response Signature

Hi Von,

The Error message" an unknown error occurred while accessing the upgrade file" this error is a generic error message and would need install/upgrade logs to further investigate through TAC.

However i would advise to please check below prerequisites before the upgrade:

You need the following COP files in same sequence as mentioned below before performing this upgrade:
>>ciscocm.enable-sha512sum-2021-signing-key-v1.0.cop.sgn
>>ciscocm.cuc_upgrade_12_0_v1.3.cop.sgn

++Change the Guest Operating System version to match the requirements of Unity Connection 14. If you are upgrading Unity Connection from 12.0 or any earlier version to release 14, you must change the Guest Operating System before upgrade. If you are upgrading Unity Connection from 12.5(1) or later version to release 14, then guest operating system will remain same.
++ Change guest OS mode to permissive from CLI : utils OS secure permissive

Please check the below guide for details:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/14/install_upgrade/guide/b_14cuciumg/b_14cuciumg_chapter_010.html

AlainDC010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts!

I have one question regarding space issue on common partition.

How can I free up some space? Upgrade is failing due to insufficient space.

Thanks for your advice.

Hi Alain,

To clear space in common partition follow below steps:
Free up space by adjusting HWM and LWM

To free up more space, Set the low watermark at 20% and high water mark at 30% .
After that Restart Cisco Log Partitioning Monitoring service from serviceability and it would start to free up space.
Allow 1 hour to free up space and then Set it back to 80 and 90 respectively .

You can edit these values by logging into RTMT -> Alert Central -> Click on the System tab -> Right click on the "LogPartitionHighWaterMarkExceeded" and choose "Set Alert/Property" -> click NEXT -> reduce the threshold and click save. Repeat these steps for the "LogPartitionLowWaterMarkExceeded" alert.

Or  You can also Install the cop file to free space in common partition.

salvage210
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm upgrading our medium, single cluster of 3 nodes from 11.5(1) to 14SU1.

The pre-upgrade COP passed.

The VM meets the necessary requirements to run v14.

When running UCSInstall_UCOS_14.0.1.11900-132, the process begins normally and the log file scrolls through the various tasks. When it gets to ./Cisco/ucplatform/RPMS/platform-igmpVersion-1.0.0.0-1.noarch.rpm: OK|<LVL::Debug> it seems to time out. The status = Running with the pinwheel. After a lengthy period of time the GUI reports a loss of connection and advises me to login via the CLI and check the status. I can find no evidence that the upgrade is running at all.

No error messages are returned. Any advice?

Rich A.

Update: After digging deeper into the CLI, I found a simple message that the upgrade had failed. No reason given but the log file is present. I will review this and post the results.

Edit: There are over 2,000 lines in the installation log. It would be helpful to know where to start looking.

Edit#2:  I ran the upgrade from the CLI and observed the logs in real time. It states that the iso file is not valid and that the ISO is corrupt somehow.  I downloaded it straight from Cisco so this is odd.

Hi Rich

Whether the source cluster is older than 11.5.1.22900-28 version? If yes, have you installed the cop file 'ciscocm.enable-sha512sum-2021-signing-key-v1.0.cop.sgn' prior to the upgrade to v14?

Hello, the source cluster is 11.5.1.17900-52. We HAVE installed the cop file ciscocm.enable-sha512sum-2021-signing-key-v1.0.cop.sgn prior to attempting the upgrade.

In fact, the pre-upgrade check COP file recognizes the signing key file is installed.

We would need the install/upgrade logs to validate on this upgrade failure. Kindly raise a TAC SR and attach the logs to it.

royp1
Level 1
Level 1

where can I find any information of the differences between CUCM ver: 12.5.1.13900-152 and CUCM ver: 12.5.1.17072-1 , especially with respect to AXL and JTAPI responses?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: