Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple Drops Support for QuickTime for Windows

I'm getting this from multiple sources, here's the first link I found:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/14/uninstall_quicktime_for_windows/

Updated to include something more official-looking:

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-105A

How will features like Unity Connection Web Inbox work with IE 11 on Windows without the QuickTime plug-in?  Yeah, I know - use Firefox.  Are there other options that would allow users to access Web Inbox with IE?

What other things are going to break with Unity Connection / Communications Manager without QuickTime support?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I was/am not giving you any attitude, I was trying to give some perspective as to the fact that this is not something that you can expect an answer right away. Future development plans, roadmap items, etc. are all NDA, and cannot be discussed at CSC.

How can it work?? it won't if you uninstall it. It's a requirement for it to work. It's going to be a business decision of each company if they want to uninstall it right away, or keep using it, despite knowing the caveats.

The CUC BU will have to investigate into alternatives for people who choose to uninstall quicktime, but this will obviously take some time.

Nothing else should break as quicktime is only listed as a requirement for web inbox.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/11x/requirements/11xcucsysreqs.html#pgfId-557572

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The note from homeland security was posted today, not sure how long Apple has been planning on this, but you certainly cannot expect a technical reply on how this is going to be handled the same day. Even for an Exchange patch that we know is coming, the BU has 90 days to qualify the patch since the day it was released to tell if it's compatible or not.

You'll have to wait for an official announcement on how the CUC BU will handle this, or, if you want info before that, you'll have to work with your AM/SE to get it, most likely under NDA, and as the BU analyzes this, which might take a while.

HTH

java

Jaime - let me rephrase the questions:

How will can features like Unity Connection Web Inbox work **today** with IE 11 on Windows without the QuickTime plug-in?

What other things are going to break **today** with Unity Connection / Communications Manager without QuickTime support installed.

I was/am not giving you any attitude, I was trying to give some perspective as to the fact that this is not something that you can expect an answer right away. Future development plans, roadmap items, etc. are all NDA, and cannot be discussed at CSC.

How can it work?? it won't if you uninstall it. It's a requirement for it to work. It's going to be a business decision of each company if they want to uninstall it right away, or keep using it, despite knowing the caveats.

The CUC BU will have to investigate into alternatives for people who choose to uninstall quicktime, but this will obviously take some time.

Nothing else should break as quicktime is only listed as a requirement for web inbox.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/11x/requirements/11xcucsysreqs.html#pgfId-557572

HTH

java

Thanks, Jaime - I corrected my earlier reply, as the wording in my original questions was not clear.  You provided a good/solid answer in your original reply, especially given my poor use of the english language.

I just saw your other reply, was probably typing mine when you posted.

The wording was correct, there are no grammatical errors, it's perfectly written in English, but it does make a huge difference the word *will* in a question at CSC.

How will CUCM 11.5 work? What new features will it have?

What Exchange will CUC 11.5 support?

What will whatever...?

All those asking about future products, features, development, compatibility, etc. Are all NDA topics which cannot be answered at CSC. At minimum, they would have to be posted in the partners community which has a higher level of access to information.

How will CUC work without quicktime??

The BU will have to look into that, and specially, how far back they plan to address this. 11.5 is not far away, it'll be interesting to see what will happen when it's released.

Thanks for posting this, because I'm sure it won't be long before people start asking the same question. I personally was not aware of this.

HTH

java

While I'm dreaming of what *will* be, it would be great to understand where Cisco (specifically CUCM/CUC/CUP) is headed with it's reliance on:

- QuickTime

- Flash

- Client-side Java

I'm not expecting Cisco to answer that here, just trying to help create awareness within Cisco.

I think I can answer the first question myself -- you must use QuickTime with UC 11.x/10.x:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/compatibility/matrix/cucclientmtx.html#pgfId-305782