Views
Helpful
Replies

BE6000S

ken.chi22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

We are deploying a BE6000S for our office (less than 30 users), and currently we are using internet service provider router as our DNS, and don't have access to make changes.

Would deploying the BE6000S without a proper DNS server affect it's performance in this scenario?

25 Replies 25

HI Andy

Thanks for the clarifications, but I would like to enquire further about the recomended

routing scheme to use for the BE6000s, to have full intrnet connectivity. I am having a

hard time understanding how the BVI functions in this situation, and which ports should be used for

for voice and data.

So far, I have come across two diffeent shcemes;

The first (which comes as the default config) has a BVI bridging the UCS and the router module, and recommends

that a static IP be assigned to G0/0 for LAN connectivity. It doesn't give details about the voice network and which

port will be used for it.

The next scheme doesnt use BVI, but has the UCS interface (ucse 1/0) configured with

ip unnumbered gigabit Ethernet 0/0. Subinterfaces are assigned on G0/1, and G0/2 is assigned and ip add

in the same subnet as the UCS servers.

Can you please advice on which scheme is recommended for deploying the BE6000S, or better if you can share a more detailed

document on either of these.

N/B; network is BE6000, 2960X switch, and an ISP router.

De : Andrew Hickman

Envoyé : Sunday, November 29, 2015 1:40 PM

À : Ken chi emmanuel <emmanuel@ibengroup.com>

Objet : Re: - BE6000S

<https://communities.cisco.com/> Cisco Communities

BE6000S

reply from Andrew Hickman <https://communities.cisco.com/people/ahickman> in Technology > Collaboration > Unified Communications - View the full discussion <https://communities.cisco.com/message/198988#198988>

Hi,

The default configuration is intended to provide some flexibility whilst remaining generic.  Ultimately, you can reconfigure IOS to suit your environment in any way you want.

In summary, the default configuration offers two connectivity options:

1. Routed: The BE6000S is connected to the rest of the network via GE0/0.  GE0/0 is assigned an address from the company network address range and the network is configured to route traffic to the collaboration subnet (on the UCS-E blade) via this address.  By default the applications sit in the 172.27.199.0/26 subnet, but you can change this if you wish.

2. Bridged (i.e. layer 2 only): The BE6000S is connected to the rest of the network via GE0/1.  This interface is bridged to the UCS-E blade, so external devices can reach both the applications on the blade and the ISR voice gateway ports directly.  Again by default this subnet uses the 172.27.199.0/26 subnet.  Devices connecting via GE0/1 will be issued DHCP addresses by the BE6000S.  This is really just a convenience that allows the appliance to be used with just a switch to establish a functional collaboration solution.  You can turn off DHCP (or any of the other configured features) if those functions are already provided in the external network(s).

You mention connection to the voice network...We haven't really differentiated voice and data networks in this solution (like it was with the UC500). It is assumed that in most cases, the BE6000S will be used as a standalone collaboration appliance and not really as an Internet gateway....although of course it could be configured for that if that was appropriate.

One thing to note though.  We have not configured the Ethernet ports on the UCS-E blade itself for one specific reason:  ESXi does not permit the bridging of traffic between its physical NICs, so if you were using these ports to provide connectivity to applications on the blade, you'd have to provide an external mechanism to get traffic to the voice gateway ports in the appliance.  In this case (and in my opinion) using the bridged interface provides a neater solution.

If you wanted to provide dedicated access to the ESXi management interface via a separate management network (independent of the ISR), then of course, one of the blade interfaces could be used for this.

Here's a simple diagram of the default BE6000S connectivity model.

BE6000S.png

Hope this helps,

Andy

Hi Andrew.. thanks for very good explanation about the architecture ... can you explain why VNIC2 and VNIC 3 are shown as not used?

can we use those ports to connect UCS-E directly to the switch without routing it via router?

BR.

Hi BR,

We took this approach with the BE6000S default configuration, as it avoided issues when trying to pass traffic across the hypervisor (ESXi doesn't allow you to use different in/out interfaces for a particular flow).

If you'd rather you the external ports instead of using the back plane, that is completely fine.

Andy

Thanks Andy for the reply.

so can we use those External ports with the default configuration or do we need to rebuild the server for using those ports?

As explained above, ESXi can be accessible via vnic0 but if we want to access it via vnic2 or vnic3 along with UC applications will it still work with default configuration  ?

we have just changed the IP's to match our environment.

BR,

Sachin

That should be fine.  Just remove the internal PCI interface from the IOS bridge group and you should be fine.  There should be no need to reinstall anything.  Just check you ESXi networking and router to networking routing after to ensure that everything is still reachable.

Thank You Andrew!!!

Appreciated !!!!

BR,

Sachin

Andrew,

Is the M port on the BE6000s also available for use for CIMC?

Hi everybody,

I'm also curios about that M - port

Did not found any documentation about it so far. Maybe someone knows the purpose for it.

So if anybody knows the answer please let us know.

I've also the problem with this special setup of the BE6000S. I also want the CUCM on the ESXi in a Voice VLAN and the ESXi Host and CIMC in the Data VLAN

What can be done to use dedicated ports for ESXi, CIMC, Virtual Appliances and ISR-Router?

Normaly you have dedicated port for CIMC and a dedicated Port for the ESXi (trunk Port for VLAN's) and one Port for the 2921 ISR..

with kind regards,

Andreas

The M port can be used to access CIMC.

We GE0/1 for ESXi

And the two other Gig ports on the server for UC applications.

All the ports can be used as directed by ESXi and the router.

Michael Serwon | Senior Consulting Engineer

Presidio (NASDAQ: PSDO) | www.presidio.com<http://www.presidio.com>

10415 Morado Circle The Campus Building 1 Suite 320, Austin, TX 78759

D: 412.871.2655 | C: 412.216.1227 | F: 412.871.2685 | mserwon@presidio.com<mailto:mserwon@PRESIDIO.com>

CCVP

<http://www.presidio.com>

Follow us:

<http://www.twitter.com/presidio>

Thank you mserwon,

I've made up my mind and now all seems clear.

The M port configuration is available from the CIMC.

The GE1(vnic2) and GE2(vnic3) interfaces are available from ESX management menue.

So I've configured the
- M-Port for CIMC access

- GE1 for ESXi Access via VSphere and also for the UC Applications

- G0/0 for 2921 ISR (CUBE) LAN (Voice VLAN)

- G0/1 for 2921 ISR (CUBE) SIP Provider

Have to configure CUCM and CUBE to connect to Telecom of Thailand. Hope that would work well. I'll figure it out soon

with kind regards,

Andreas