Views
Helpful
Replies

BE7M-M4-K9 Licensing issue With a extra processor

ernesto.esquer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I got a Question what license is needed?  If we upgraded a BE7M-M4-K9 with a second processor and 64GB extra of RAM.

The actual license we got on the bundle is VMW-VS5-HYP-K9 "Cisco UC Virt. Hypervisor 5.x (2-socket)"

I got this message when we add the second processor

“Vmware ESX license Has expired. The following features are no longer available “

*Up to 8-way Virtual SMP

When re-added the “VMW-VS5-HYP-K9” Master serial number of the license I got this message:

“The license key entered does not have enough capacity for this entity”

So I think is a license problem I need to know what license is missing to enable have the full capabilities of the UCS bundle with the new hardware added.

The new hardware configuration is:

UCSC-240-M4S2

24 CPUS x 2.499 GHZ

Processos Sockets : 4

Corer per Socket: 6

Logical Proccesors: 48

128GB RAM

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For changing HW on a BE6K, BE7K or MM410v appliance, “what Andy said”. This isn’t allowed as it messes up TAC support/RMA (among other processes) for appliances.

Deployments needing a different HW configuration from what BE6K or BE7K are offering should do custom HW builds using UConUCS Specs-based.

VMW-VS5-HYP-K9 is only allowed on BE6K and BE7K appliances, not on custom UConUCS Specs-based HW (the minimum licenses available for UConUCS Specs-based are R-VMW-UC-FND5-K9 or VMW-VS5-ST-1A=).

VMW-VS5-HYP-K9 is hardcoded to max 2 populated physical CPU sockets and is not expandable or splittable. It does not look at physical CPU cores per physical CPU socket.

Regardless of whether you are 1-CPU or 2-CPU on physical HW, VMW-VS5-HYP-K9 only entitles max 8vcpu per VM: http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements#License_Comparison

-james

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ernesto,

Changing the hardware specification of Business Edition servers is not supported in any way.

Regards,

Andy

For changing HW on a BE6K, BE7K or MM410v appliance, “what Andy said”. This isn’t allowed as it messes up TAC support/RMA (among other processes) for appliances.

Deployments needing a different HW configuration from what BE6K or BE7K are offering should do custom HW builds using UConUCS Specs-based.

VMW-VS5-HYP-K9 is only allowed on BE6K and BE7K appliances, not on custom UConUCS Specs-based HW (the minimum licenses available for UConUCS Specs-based are R-VMW-UC-FND5-K9 or VMW-VS5-ST-1A=).

VMW-VS5-HYP-K9 is hardcoded to max 2 populated physical CPU sockets and is not expandable or splittable. It does not look at physical CPU cores per physical CPU socket.

Regardless of whether you are 1-CPU or 2-CPU on physical HW, VMW-VS5-HYP-K9 only entitles max 8vcpu per VM: http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements#License_Comparison

-james

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: