cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Caller ID

STACY WOOD
Level 1
Level 1

Found a helpful thread here about how to get Caller ID working when forwarding a call.

Given this scenario -

User A has an phone number of  555-555-1234

User A forwards his IP Phone to 555-555-1212.

When User B 555-555-9876 calls User A at 555-1234, the caller ID on User A's cell phone is displayed as 555-555-1234.

Objective is to display the User B caller ID (555-9876) on User A's cell phone, rather than User A's number 555-1234.

Solution:

Was able to follow these directions to allow caller id to passthrough exactly as described if i do the following:

1. make sure no DN defined in the Gateway

2."Calling Party Presentation" and "are set to "Default" and "Originator"

3. "Redirecting Number IE Delivery - Outbound" - is checked

Now, under the above scenerio, if caller A calls my Desk Phone and it is set to redirect after so many rings to my cell phone, then I see Caller A's Caller ID show up as the calling party.  That is exactly what I want.

Problem, now that we removed the DN definition from the Gateway, if I dial outbound from my deskphone, caller ID reports i am now calling from my 4 digit internal extension.  Inspite of having the correct information in the External Phone Number Mask on the actual line for the extension.

Since we used to have corporate location's main number in the DN defined on the gateway, we just thought that the external phone number mask was being trumped by the DN. 

So... is it possible to have it all? to get caller id passthrough when a call is forwarded, and get a valid number of some kind when we dial out from an extension?

In otherwords, my extension is 4444.  The DN for the company is 555-555-1234.  If we put 5555551234 in the DN on the gateway, then all calls show up as that number.  Which is fine for outbound calls.  But not fine for calls forwarded from another source.   We remove the DN and now calls get forwarded with the correct caller id - 555-9876 for the above example instead of 555-1234, but now if i just dial out from my phone, it now shows up as 4444.  I want it to either show the 555-555-1234 which is the main number for the company, or I want it to show 555-555-1244 which is my extension (555-555-12xx for example).

Can anyone help?  if it matters we are running CUCM 8.5

1 Reply 1

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is a bit of config that is missing, but I have two suggestions that might solve this problem. 

The first suggestion is more configuration confirmation.  If you have a short DN (4 digit) and you have a mask at the DN level (480555XXXX), then at the route pattern level you should choose the 'use external phone mask' which may provide what you're looking for.  You just need to be careful for unintended matches (like CTI ports and non-DID number). 

The other way to fix this is to apply a calling party transformation at the gateway level.  So create a calling party transformation pattern of 555555XXXX.  Apply that to the calling party transformation to the GW level, then the calling party number should be right. 

But I will caveat my answers that this will apply to the numbers in the original calling party number.  If the carrier is displaying a redirecting number entry, I think the transformation will apply to the calling party number and not redirecting numbers. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer