cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Correct steps for Dirt - Exchange restore

ccollinsworth
Level 1
Level 1

We are running Unity 3.1(6) with Exchange 5.5 on box, VM only. We have about 800 subscribers and backing up messages with DiRT is not an option, so we use NT backup for exchange. What are the steps after installing a clean install of Unity to restore using DiRT restore and Exchange using NT backup?

1 Reply 1

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NT backup for exchange is not supported (it's not the most robust backup system) - You're definitely better off with a proper exchange aware backup such as Veritas Backup Exec or the like.

That said, DiRT can be used for this type of migration with messages - the "200 mailbox" limit that has so profoundly confused everyone is put there as a warning that diRt is not an appropriate tool for REGULAR backups with messages (i.e. as opposed to a migration scenario where this is a one time move). So if you're just doing this as a migration, I'd go ahead and use DiRT (which uses ExMerge in the background).

If this is a situation where you want to be backing up messages on a regular bases, I'd highly reccomend investing in a good exchange aware backup package.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: