Views
Helpful
Replies

CUAC advanced upgrade 11 to 12

Vinh Nguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a client wanting to upgrade from CUAC advance single server version 11.0 to version 12.0 and changing from SQL 2012 and OS 2012 to SQL 2016 and OS 2016.  There is no real upgrade document for CUAC advance.  What is the proper and supported process?  What is the estimated effort?  After the upgrade they want to build a HA server.  Is that just a fresh built and the server will sync to the primary?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vinh,

I assume by the date of your post that you are not looking for an answer to your question anymore.  However, in case you are; I'll do my best.  If you simply wanted / needed to upgrade your CUACA to a newer version.  And, let's say the underlying SQL and Windows OS was still compatible or supported by the newer / upgraded version of CUACA.  In this scenario it's as simple as running the CUACA installation file.  During the installation process it will find the current SQL "configuration" and "logging" databases already installed.  You will be prompted to keep them or overwrite them.  In your situation you'd want to keep them of course.  That would be it other than reloading a new license.  However, if you need to move to a newer SQL and Newer OS, in this scenario the above process would not work properly.  I don't believe you can or that Cisco supports you attempting a GUI backup and restore from one SQL version to a newer version.  Therefore, you would need to build new servers to the specifications listed in the Admin and Installation guide for your version.  Cisco will not support you exporting and importing data from the SQL tables / database.  Our install wasn't too large.  Therefore, I configured all of it on the new servers manually and then found a way to export the "Speed Dial" table from SQL and import them into the new system.  Again, not supported.  But, much better than telling users that they have to re-configuring thousands of speed dials.  It's been working fine for more than a year now.  Once the new server is up and running you can build your second one and install replication between the two of them.  Do the installation and the replication both during off or low business hours.  Because, the services are stopped on the primary during these processes.  Once complete you will need to install the HA license.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Marco Rojas Abarca
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Vinh,

This is a very good question. Your statement is accurate, there is no upgrade document for this type of platform. The install and upgrade guides point you to the Mantain and Operate guides, see the link below:

Install and Upgrade Guides

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/unified-attendant-consoles/products-installation-guides-list.html

See below:

Install and Upgrade Guides

Hi Marco

I read your document but it does not tell me the sequence to upgrade.  Do I do an in place upgrade of the OS and SQL first to 2016 then upgrade CUAC to 12?  Or do I built a new server and then backup and restore?

Vinh,

I assume by the date of your post that you are not looking for an answer to your question anymore.  However, in case you are; I'll do my best.  If you simply wanted / needed to upgrade your CUACA to a newer version.  And, let's say the underlying SQL and Windows OS was still compatible or supported by the newer / upgraded version of CUACA.  In this scenario it's as simple as running the CUACA installation file.  During the installation process it will find the current SQL "configuration" and "logging" databases already installed.  You will be prompted to keep them or overwrite them.  In your situation you'd want to keep them of course.  That would be it other than reloading a new license.  However, if you need to move to a newer SQL and Newer OS, in this scenario the above process would not work properly.  I don't believe you can or that Cisco supports you attempting a GUI backup and restore from one SQL version to a newer version.  Therefore, you would need to build new servers to the specifications listed in the Admin and Installation guide for your version.  Cisco will not support you exporting and importing data from the SQL tables / database.  Our install wasn't too large.  Therefore, I configured all of it on the new servers manually and then found a way to export the "Speed Dial" table from SQL and import them into the new system.  Again, not supported.  But, much better than telling users that they have to re-configuring thousands of speed dials.  It's been working fine for more than a year now.  Once the new server is up and running you can build your second one and install replication between the two of them.  Do the installation and the replication both during off or low business hours.  Because, the services are stopped on the primary during these processes.  Once complete you will need to install the HA license.

Yes you are correct.  That is eventually what we had to do.  Wish Cisco would provide clearer documentation around this process.

Hi,

I have to do the same, except that we are running CUAC 11.0.2 on Win2008 and this version is not supported on Win2016.  So my plan was to create a Win2012 jump box to restore and upgrade CUAC to version 12.0.2, and then create the Win2016 and restore CUAC12.

Is this process still valid, or is it too much of an effort?  I guess exporting the speed dials and import on the new Win2016/CUAC12 would be a better approach.

Thanks!

Hello, we have purchased 11.x HA licenses in 2019, We didn't use on any server, now we want to activate the 12.x version with the same purchased licenses. Is this possible or we should purchase new licenses for 12.x version.

Thanks

Yes just send an email to licensing@cisco.com and quote them the PAK key and Cisco Sales Order.

Hi  Levi Halford,

How do you export/import SpeedDials table?  I managed to export/impor speed dials with SQL  but didn't appear when i Open attendant console client.

Best Regards,

MC