cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE - If it is not mandatory, what are all the things to compromise?

prasanna.k1
Level 1
Level 1

If having CUBE in Unified Communications infrastructure is not mandatory, what are all the things that needs to be compromised? I understrand CUBE provides security, interoperability and all.

If we don't have CUBE update installed in VoIP gateway, the coexistence of SIP and TDM trunking will not work? Please help me understanding this. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

You would need (or should consider) CUBE wherever you are connecting two seperate SIP systems, directly, with SIP.

So if you are connecting two CUCM clusters, via a TDM/PSTN SP, then no, you would not need CUBE.

In your second example, since you are connecting CUCM to a SIP SP, then you should consider CUBE.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

If you have SIP from CUCM to the Voice Gateway, and then TDM to the SP, you do not have/need CUBE licensing. You have a standard voice gateway.

CUBE is for SIP-to-SIP generally - i.e. SIP from a SIP SP on the outside, and SIP from CUCM on the inside. In this scenario you have much more scope for interoperability and security issues as you have an end-to-end data connection, potentially.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks Aaron. 

So, you saying the calls from VoIP Phone -> CUCM->VoIP Gateway->SP via PSTN->Destination VoIP Gateway->Destination UCM->Phone doesn't require CUBE. In this case, the destination need not to be a SIP enabled device (need not to be a VoIP phone?)?

And for the calls from VoIP Phone->CUCM->VoIP Gateway->SP via SIP->Destination VoIP gateway->CUCM->VoIP Phone (Here destination phone is a SIP enabled device?). Let me know your comments please.

Hi

You would need (or should consider) CUBE wherever you are connecting two seperate SIP systems, directly, with SIP.

So if you are connecting two CUCM clusters, via a TDM/PSTN SP, then no, you would not need CUBE.

In your second example, since you are connecting CUCM to a SIP SP, then you should consider CUBE.

Aaron