Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE license for sip trunks with sip provider not mandatory all the time

Vinod Dahiya
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

Are CUBE license for sip trunks with sip provider not mandatory all the time?

Regards,

Vinod Dahiya

11 Replies 11

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

There are changes in this but the cube license was not in forced in the past however with smart licensing this changes I believe, lost track of that a while back. What is your router model?

you wound need the uc feature set

Router model could be 3925/43XX/2901.

So, I am looking for below setup:

CUCM 11.5--> SIP Trunk --> SIP GW(No CUBE licenses) --> SIP Trunk --> PSTN.

Is there any supporting cisco document that CUBE licenses are not required to have a direct SIP trunk between SIP GW and PSTN?

Regards,

Vinod Dahiya

You will need a license for this in the new licensing model. The old way where CUBE licenses were not enforced I believe is gone.

Are you quoting this still? If so I would engage a partner who can spend the time to go through the ordering guide and get you set.

Old licensing model was RTU, but he would still had to buy those CUBE licenses to be compliant. 

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

Does that mean that a cube license is always required whether using CUBE functionality or not? Do not want to configure sip-ua or any cube specific commands. 

We are intended to use simple IP to IP trunking feature towards PSTN on a SIP GW.

Regards,

Vinod Dahiya

That ISR would be a CUBE and would need licenses. 

HTH

java

So, all new ISR 43/44xx series would be treated as cube even if configuring SIP trunking?

What about older series 29/39xx series router? Would they still need a cube license for this kind of setup?

Cisco Unified Border Element (CUBE) is a unified communications border element that bridges voice and
video connectivity between two separate VoIP networks. It is similar to a traditional voice gateway, except
for the replacement of physical voice trunks with an IP connection. Traditional gateways connect VoIP
networks to telephone companies using a circuit-switched connection, such asPRI. The CUBE connects VoIP
networks to other VoIPnetworks and is often used to connect enterprise networks to Internet telephony service
providers (ITSPs).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/cube/configuration/cube-book/voi-cube-overview.pdf

When you use an ISR to do the above, it IS a CUBE and it needs licenses, on ANY platform. Newer platforms use smart licensing, older platforms used RTU.

HTH

java

In some old forums, I have read that when configuring a SIP TRUNK with CME towards PSTN, no cube license is mandatory - simple trunking solution works but with new ISR series it is a must.

You will need a license for this in the new licensing model. The old way where CUBE licenses were not enforced I believe is gone.

Are you quoting this still? If so I would engage a partner who can spend the time to go through the ordering guide and get you set.

Joplin
Level 1
Level 1

My question is similar.....  The company I am at now uses SIP/SIP on a  4331, CUBE is not enabled nor is there a license. 

As I was learning about SIP-to-SIP I was under the impression you needed CUBE to operate in this configuration, so I'm a bit confused.  Is CUBE used just to make configuration easier?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: