cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUC 8 - converting local users with VM's to LDAP users - what is the best method?

musademirel
Level 1
Level 1

Evening all

We are running a new Unity Connect 8.0 environment. Initially the users were either manually imported and created individually. The standard naming convention for the Alias names are first initial + surname.

I have integrated LDAP synch so now I can see all the users in the users OU. I want to be able to utilise the LDAP synch to its full potential. I want to create new users from LDAP. But my primary objective is to convert all local users to domain users. The only main issue which we identified is that domain users Alias length is set to 8 characters max in length whereas the local accounts are full length.

What would be the best way to migrate the users to LDAP, preserve the voicemails and update Alias names to be the same length as domain users?

I was thinking of the following:

1. Backup up system using COBRAS
  2. Delete all local users from CUC
  3. Do a bulk import of all users from LDAP into CUC as fresh accounts
  4. Use COBRAS import tool to load backup
  5. Amend the alias names manually to the correct length (8 letters)
  6. Import all users and VM's back in
  7. Pray it works!

Any more efficient suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

Mus

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is a far easier way to do this using the Bulk Administration Tool in Connection.

1. Perform an export operation to get everything into a CSV file.
  2. Delete all the columns except Alias, EmailAddress, MailName, and LdapCcmUserId.
  3. Populate the LdapCcmUserId to match the user's sAMAccountName attribute from AD.
    NOTE: Spot-check to be sure that you can find this user's account using the Import Users section. The account must have a Last Name value populated, be within the search base, and satisfy any filters you have applied to the syncrhoization agreement.
  4. Update the MailName to match the LdapCcmUserId. If you are using VMO or Single Inbox also set the EmailAddress to match the user's real email address. When you do the Update operation the Alias should get corrected to match the LdapCcmUserId if memory serves [read: test this!].
    NOTE: If you are setting the EmailAddress you also want the CreateSmtpProxyFromCorp column to be set to 1. This will ensure that the value is copied to the SMTP Proxy Address and can be utilized by the Unified Messaging integration.
  5. Save your modified CSV file and run an update operation. I suggest starting with a batch of only a few accounts at first to get comfortable with the process. Be sure to specify a filename for failed objects; you almost always have a few and this will give you a little guidence on what failed.

Good morning Jonathan,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

With regards to your comment in step 3, there is no sAMAccountName attribute field in the CSV. Is this a new column I have to create? In effect isn't sAMAccountName attribute the same as the LdapCcmUserId? according to my export, I have the Alias and LdapCcmUserId fields to be identical.

My second concern is as follows: I currently have about 200 local users in CUC which are live active users with VM's. In our OU there is 900 users in total. These additional users will eventually be migrated into CUC as well. I understand your method with the bulk import will work and update the existing records but 1 - does it convert the updated users to LDAP users upon doing an update? 2- does the update create new subcscribers from the CSV file at the same time? I.e yes it will update the 200 odd subcribers with the correct shortened alias but will it create new subcribers for the remaining 700 users at the same time?

sAMAccountName is the username attribute from Active Directory. This won't be a column in the CSV. When you do the update you need to leave the Alias as-is so the row matches the existing account. Only the LdapCcmUserId should be changed from a blank value to the user's AD username.

1 - does it convert the updated users to LDAP users upon doing an update?

Yes.

2- does the update create new subcscribers from the CSV file at the same time?

When you run the export you will select 'Users with Mailbox'. The remaining 700 users in the AD OU do not have a mailbox today so this will only include the 200 accounts already in CUC.

Please rate helpful replies.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: