Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.0.2 to 7.1.3 Upgrade - Grub does not allow to choose new partition

Ruslan Amrahov
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

Newly I have upgraded CUCM from 7.0.2 to 7.1.3. First I applied iso via sftp to publisher, then to subscriber. I cheched MD5sum it was correct. When I reboot CUCM and grub menu displays I have no ability to check now partition. I can not even press any button like the keyboard is not working. But it does because I am able to login the console. Why issue such this could happen? I can see both of active and inactive partitions from show system version active/inactive.

Can I use utils system switch version to switch it first on subscriber then on publisher to minimize the downtime?

We made a few changes to CUCM configuration. If I will take a backup now can I reciver it whan I'll boot from new 7.1.3 partition?

Tahnk you all.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you're seeing is normal.  You do have to use the "utils system switch-version" command to boot from the other partition on your hard drive to change the call manager version.  I would switch versions on the publisher first then the subscriber(s).  Also be aware that any changes made between the time the upgrade installation was run until the switch version will be lost, other than user facing features, which include:

Call Forward All (CFA)

Message waiting indicator (MWI)

Privacy Enable/Disable

Extension Mobility login/logout

Hunt Group login/logout

Device Mobility

Certificate Authority Proxy Function (CAPF) status for end users and applications users

Credential hacking and authentication

This means if you have installed the upgrade in the morning, during the day changed a few router patterns then ran a switch-version, the route pattern changes made during the day would be lost and have to be made again.

View solution in original post

You have to restore a backup to the same version of call manager the backup was taken on.  So if you have a backup from 7.0.2 it would not restore on 7.1.3.  If you did make changes after you ran the installation for the upgrade, you would need to re-run the installation again to update the changes in the current 7.0.2 database and then it would be copied over to 7.1.3 during the update installation when it's run again.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you're seeing is normal.  You do have to use the "utils system switch-version" command to boot from the other partition on your hard drive to change the call manager version.  I would switch versions on the publisher first then the subscriber(s).  Also be aware that any changes made between the time the upgrade installation was run until the switch version will be lost, other than user facing features, which include:

Call Forward All (CFA)

Message waiting indicator (MWI)

Privacy Enable/Disable

Extension Mobility login/logout

Hunt Group login/logout

Device Mobility

Certificate Authority Proxy Function (CAPF) status for end users and applications users

Credential hacking and authentication

This means if you have installed the upgrade in the morning, during the day changed a few router patterns then ran a switch-version, the route pattern changes made during the day would be lost and have to be made again.

Thank a lot for your reply!

It really is clear now but I did not understrand if I made backup after upgrade but before switching to the new partition, will I be able to restore this backup on the new partition.

You have to restore a backup to the same version of call manager the backup was taken on.  So if you have a backup from 7.0.2 it would not restore on 7.1.3.  If you did make changes after you ran the installation for the upgrade, you would need to re-run the installation again to update the changes in the current 7.0.2 database and then it would be copied over to 7.1.3 during the update installation when it's run again.

Thank you a lot, now everything is clear for me!