Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrades and phone firmware

The last time we did a CUCM upgrade (8.5 --> 8.6), the biggest thing that didn't go well was in regards to firmware.  The vast majority of our phones (7962s, 7965s) stopped working properly.  They handled calls fine, but the Corporate Directory and other services became unavailable. 

We found that the only way we could fix it issue on an individual phone was to perform a factory reset and have the phone download it's firmware all over again. This solved the problem for most of the 300 or so phones, and a handful basically died completely, not being able to negotiate with the tftp server after the factory reset.

We're getting ready to upgrade to 9.1, and I'm curious as to what is the best practice regarding firmware and upgrades?  We're currently running SCCP, but I think I want to convert everything to SIP, but that is over a year away.  I hope to get the upgrade out of the way next month.

At present I only have 1 phone with a mismatched load on my Publisher and 16 on the Subscriber, and I thing the bulk of these are phones that never got resolved after the last upgrade

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Upgrade the FW to match the one that comes with CUCM 9.1, then phones won't download the new FW once you upgrade, and you can fix any issues before the upgrade. Not to mention control the FW upgrade as you wish.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: