Views
Helpful
Replies

CUEAC Co-existance

Eric Beaumier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We've recently migrated to IP phones and we are running two UCS with CUCM, Unity and UCCX.

We also have a Speech attendant (Nuance - Not a cisco product) for speech recognition (English and French)

Now we are looking to install CUEAC and because of the low system requirement we would like to install it on the same server as Nuance.  I looked into the release note and all the document I could not find anything against co-existance of CUEAC an other application on the saem server.

Of cource the physical server has plenty ressources (2 CPU - 16 Cores / 16 GB RAM / SAS RAID5 plenty of disk space) and it meet and surpass all the requirement of both application combined.

I was told co-existance is not supported but can not find any evidence to back this statement up.  Can anyone point me to the proper document that explain or state this statement?

4 Replies 4

Jeff Bankston
Level 1
Level 1

the answer is yes you can - but it depends.

You didn't say what model of UCS server you have, but spec based solutions that follow the OVA and not exceed the capacity of the UCS platform will work and are supported. So if you count the vCPU, memory, and disk space of the provisioned UC apps, and make sure that the assigned resources do not exceed that of the platform, you should be fine. But, if your installation is purely TRC-based, then NO non-UC apps should ever go on that chassis.

Note that, however, if TAC gets involved on a call for a platform issue, I have seen where TAC required the removal of non-UC apps to further diagnose a platform issue.

To that end, the only non-UC apps I ever install co-located with UC apps are Nuance, the Windows 2008 server used for attendant consoles, and paging servers like SynApps or InformaCast. Cluttering up the UCs platform with alot of non-UC apps is a recipe for trouble.

-Jeff

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eric,

Check out;

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Virtualization_Sizing_Guidelines#Table_of_Co-residency_Support_Policy_by_Cisco_UC_Application

Cheers!

Rob

PS: +5 to Jeff for his great answer here

"go easy...step lightly...stay free " 

- The Clash

I'm sorry, I should have made my statement more clear and I realized how my previous question is confusing.  I should have left the UC part out of the question.

I have all my IP telephony on both UCS server and the Nuance on a separate server (Dell R610) as I'm not going to install non-UC app on the UCS server.

The Nuance currently run on a Dell R610 with Window 2k8.

My question is can I install the CUEAC on the Dell server on the same OS as Nuance?  Whould this be an issue.   CUEAC seem to be a fairly light application and I'll be runnig only 2 reception desk of the server?

you will need to check the requirements of CUEAC and stare/compare with those of Nuance - if they will use the same OS and patch levels, and won't overload the CPU and memory, then it should work fine but unexpected heavy or bursty call volume could cause issues. And yes, that said knowing the console isn't handling actual calls but rather the presence of the calls.

I've always found it more reassuring to have CUEAC on a dedicated server or VM rather than colocated with another app. If an attendant issue comes up, I don't have to worry was it the other app causing it, or the OS, or ........

FWIW

-Jeff