Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS ova template upgrade

cdemont
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are installing UC (cucm, cuc, cups, uccx) based on UCS 210M2 hardware. Our project will have 3 phases with a constant number of users growing and so we have started with 2 UCS then now 4 and then 6.

That means we are going to use different ova templates for each product and that we will need to make them growing but the goal is to not reinstall all of them from scratch.

We could anticipate some ova to be in their final state (phase 3 capacity) like CUCM publisher but not for all products.

Ex for CUPS we installed a publisher with an ova of 5000 users and now we need to upgrade it to 7500 users. My question is to know if we can just upgradeed the VM according to the new requirements (more CPU and memory) or can we backup + restore in a new installation of CUPS with a 7500 UC ova, or do we need to reinstall all from scratch ?

My fears is that CUPS seemsr to have different "database size" depending on the ova used. Typically I could not install a subscriber with an ova of 2000 users linked to my publisher based on 5000 users, the installer told me there was a different database size. So if the database size of the 5000 users ova is smaller than the 7500 users's one, I cannot just upgrade the CPU and ram of the vm.

I could not find any information about those database sizes and if resizing if possible etc ...

Thanks for your help !!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Then you are good here, all you need to do is shut down the VM, change the CPU allocation from 2 to 4, and RAM from 4 to 6, and restart the VM. The vDisk requirments are the same 2x80Gb so not need to worry about this.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Install the OVAs you anticipate growing into intitially to save your self some pain.  Some parameters can be resized manually later, i.e. more RAM, additional CPU, however others i.e. Disk space cannot as that would require rebuilding the partitions.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

If you still want to go that way you just need to backup the old VM and then restore on the higher capacity VM.

Just as if you were doing this on MCS servers.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi

And when restoring a backup the database size will not be impacted ? ( reduced to previous size)

Thanks

Christophe

Hi Chris

Well, our problem is that we did not have all the servers at phase 1 so we could not deploy the final ova template because we were missing vcpus. As CISCO does not authorize any oversubcription nor thin provisioning using VMware just add more constraints than using physical servers ... And we cannot have benificits of hardware abstraction (1st goal of virtualization ) in my case I checked that the parameters growing in the ova template I need to use is only vcpu and memory. But I don't know the impact regarding database size. Regards Christophe

As I stated you cannot re-size the database, note this:

"Adding vDisk is not supported as it would require re-partitioning by the application." from

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements#Resize_Virtual_Machine

If you do require additional disk space you need to do what Java said, you need to tak DRS backup and restore on new VM, this is going to work on larger disk size just fine.

HTH,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I know about adding vdisk is not supported, in my case, the OVA template has the SAME vdisks, as I stated the only differences are vcpus & vram, but the description of the OVAs does not talk about database sizes related to each OVA and I don't know if the CUPS database size in the 5000 UC users is the same in the 15000 UC users:

5000 Full UC users12500 IM-only users2 vCPU (2500 MHz reserved)4 GB RAM with 4 GB reservation2x 80 GB vHDD1For use on B200, C210, and Specs-based hardware platforms.

For use on all supported UCS, IBM, HP, and Specs-based hardware platforms.

15000 Full UC users25000 IM-only users4 vCPU (8000 MHz reserved)6 GB RAM with 6 GB reservation2x 80 GB vHDD1For use on B200, C210, and Specs-based hardware platforms.

For use on all supported UCS, IBM, HP, and Specs-based hardware platforms.

So maybe, I can just shutdown the VM, adjust the vcpu & vram and reboot the VM, it's not the same work than re-installing a new VM and re-inject a backup.

Thank you for you advises,

Regards,

Christophe

Then you are good here, all you need to do is shut down the VM, change the CPU allocation from 2 to 4, and RAM from 4 to 6, and restart the VM. The vDisk requirments are the same 2x80Gb so not need to worry about this.

HTH,

Chris

Dear Chris,

Many thanks for your clear answer. That's a good news.

So the the internal database size of CUPS is only directly linked to the vdisk size, that's what I could not figure out.

Regards,

Christophe

The internal database size will depend on configuration, but you need to ensure you have enough disk space for the optimal use, looking at the OVAs 2x80 disk sizes are sufficient for either one. Other applications require more disk space depending on size, for example Unity Connection requires a lot more storage based on number of users to be supported as obviously there is direct correlation between number of users and voicemail storage requirements.

HTH,

Chris