Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPS standalone?

Hi

I want to know if i can use the Cisco Unified Presence Server alone,ie without  the CallManager. i only need the IM services, and i would like to sync the CUPS directly with the LDAP directory.

is possible?

Many thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

No - you need CUCM; all the users come from the CUCM database, and are authenticated against CUCM (even if  using LDAP Auth, CUCM performs the auth request against LDAP on behalf of CUPS).

So you need both LDAP (for searching) and CUCM (for authentication/user DB) amonst other things.

If you don't have CUCM, you are probably better off looking at MS Lync or another alternative IM solution anyway..

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

There is an IM Only deployment model for CUP where you are given the CUCM software for free. In that model you install CUCM as another virtual machine and use it only for the LDAP integration.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/technology/ipc/downloads/ucbu_uc_og.pdf page 82.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

No - you need CUCM; all the users come from the CUCM database, and are authenticated against CUCM (even if  using LDAP Auth, CUCM performs the auth request against LDAP on behalf of CUPS).

So you need both LDAP (for searching) and CUCM (for authentication/user DB) amonst other things.

If you don't have CUCM, you are probably better off looking at MS Lync or another alternative IM solution anyway..

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Ok, Many thanks.

There is an IM Only deployment model for CUP where you are given the CUCM software for free. In that model you install CUCM as another virtual machine and use it only for the LDAP integration.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/technology/ipc/downloads/ucbu_uc_og.pdf page 82.

Hi

I didn't know that (+5)... still, at least I was correct at a technical level, if not a parts 'n' prices level...

Aaron