Views
Helpful
Replies

Daisy Chaining 8831

ysloh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have a 2-rooms setup and would require 2 independent phones. As such, we intend to purchase 2 units of 8831 for this purpose.

However, for larger workshops, the 2 rooms will opened up to form a single larger room.

In this scenario, can we daisy chain the 2 units of 8831 (controller units, CP-8831-K9=) together ? Or do we still need to use CP-8831-DC-K9= for daisy chain ?

In another scenario, if we were to purchase CP-8831-K9= and CP-8831-DC-K9=, can the daisy chain units be separated to form 2 independent phones ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rutibuni
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

For daisy chain configurations, you have the option of purchasing the daisy chain kit, along with the regular 8831 or you could purchase two 8831's and the daisy chain cable.  What it boils down to is this:

1)  If you already have 2 8831's, you need only purchase the daisy chain cable. 

2)  If you already have one 8831 and want to expand, you can purchase the daisy chain kit that includes a base and daisy chain cable (no display control unit as it is unneeded).

3)  If you have a new room with no 8831's, you can purchase one 8831 and a daisy chain kit that includes a base and daisy chain cable (no display control unit as it is unneeded).

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

rutibuni
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

For daisy chain configurations, you have the option of purchasing the daisy chain kit, along with the regular 8831 or you could purchase two 8831's and the daisy chain cable.  What it boils down to is this:

1)  If you already have 2 8831's, you need only purchase the daisy chain cable. 

2)  If you already have one 8831 and want to expand, you can purchase the daisy chain kit that includes a base and daisy chain cable (no display control unit as it is unneeded).

3)  If you have a new room with no 8831's, you can purchase one 8831 and a daisy chain kit that includes a base and daisy chain cable (no display control unit as it is unneeded).

Hope this helps!

For this setup, you will also need a power supply for the Master base station as it will power both units through the daisy chain and a single POE port cannot handle both.

"Cisco Power Cube 3

This power cube uses a standard Cisco Unified IP Phone Power Supply for non-Power over Ethernet (PoE) deployments. It is required for daisy chaining two units together."

Cisco Unified IP Conference Phone 8831 Data Sheet - Cisco

Zac

Would you happen to know if you can hang two wired mics off the first unit and two mics off the second unit for a total of two bases and 4 mics?

Hi James,

The max configuration is 1 mic connected to one base station and another mic connected to the other base station.  There are plenty of microphones available in this configuration to handle conference rooms.  Please refer to the deployment guide for more info:  Cisco Unified IP Conference Phone 8831 Deployment Guide

wbraaf
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Ysloh,

For the first scenario there is no problem with this. For this you will need to purchase a Daisy chain cable to tether the units together.When two units are tethered together the phones force the user to set chose a master unit and the second phone will act as a slave device.

The only difference for the CP-8831-DC-K9= sku is that instead of a controller the PID ships with a daisy chain cable. The base is the same for both. You are not able to register a unit without a controller connected.

The best option is to purchase two phones and a spare daisy chain cable (  CP-8831-DC-CBL=)

cadjoe
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Ysloh,

For two rooms to work independent, you must have two regular 8831 with Keypads.

A single 8831 can have two mics.

Once you join them via a DC cable, you can only have one MIC per base.

I also seem to recall, that if you use the DC cable, you need a power brick, which is even messier on cabling.

I would recommend getting the wireless mics, as they only need power to charge, and can be put anywhere in the room, like a side cabinet counter, and can be linked to either base.

Another option is to never use the DC, and just conference in the other 8831 extension via ad-hoc, Meet_Me, or Conf Now, and use PoE for both 8831's.

One note about the 8831, is that you MUST go from older firmware to cmterm-8831-sip.9-3-3-TO-10-3-1-v2.k3.cop.sgn FIRST, then upgrade again to sip8831.10-3-1SR2-2.

If you do NOT upgrade in this order, or even if you go from 10.3.1 back prior to 9.3.3, it will break the 8831, and won't ever be able to get DHCP.  The phone will boot and say Network Not Available.  Once this happens you can NEVER fix it.

I know that sip8831.10-3-1SR2-2 will no longer let it go backwards in firmware to help prevent this issue.

Make sure you keep the magnetic ferrite on the Network cable under the 8831.

I also found the Display is really wide on the 8831, so I modify the Line Text Label and add the Conf Now Attendee Access Code for that Conf Room when I change it.

Hope this helps,

CUCM, Gotta Love It !!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: