cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exchange 2000 Tools w/ 5.5 Exchange Administrator

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

Instlling Unity 3.1.5 to Mixed Mode Exchange Environment. I installed Exchange 2000 System Tools and also selected Exchange 5.5 Administrator.

When I run the "Configuration Setup" I get to the LDAP configuration portion and I get an error:

"Unable to find Exchange Administrator"

According to this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a008009416c.shtml

I need to have Exchange 5.5 Administrator installed becuase I am connecting 5.5 Mailstore. However, I do as stated above.

Thoughts?

18 Replies 18

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Andy -

In a mixed Exchange organization, where Exchange 2000 and 5.5 servers reside, I believe you need to install Exchange Admin 2000 on the Unity server, even if its peer is an Exchange 5.5 server. Here is the link - http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps2238/c1099/ccmigration_09186a008008e5fd.pdf

Ginger

Yeah, definately however, once you run the Configuration Setup, you need to select which Message Store you will be connecting to. In my case it is 5.5. So I select 5.5. The next screen is the LDAP port configuration screen and I get this error:

"Unable to find Exchange Administrator"

and according to this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a008009416c.shtml

I need to have Exchange 5.5 Administrator installed for the MAPI stuff. So, during my Exchange 2000 install, I select 2000 System Manager Tools and I also select Exchange 5.5 Administrator. This is why I don't understand why I am getting this error. I can't get any further and there is no info in the logs. Completely stuck.

Actually in an Exchange 2000/5.5 environment the Partner Exchange server MUST be an Exchange 2000 server. It is not supported and will not work if you try to have it be an Exchange 5.5 server.

In an Exchange 5.5 only configuration you would need to install the Exchange 5.5 Administrator from the Exchange 5.5 CD (Message Store 5.5) and then apply Exchange 5.5 SP4.

Thanks,

Keith

Thats fine, however the mailstore will be 5.5 and according to that link above if I get that error it is becuase I need to install the 5.5 Admin Tools in addition to the 2000 Admin tools. My e-mail is adignan@berbee.com. I have opened a TAC case and I am completely stuck at this point and time is running out.... :)

Regards

So, by selecting 5.5 as the message store, I am making that my Partner server?? Should I select my message store as 2000 even though the mail store will be on a 5.5 server? adignan@berbee.com

OK lets backup here... :-)

In the first post you said that you are installing Unity in to a mixed mode environment. Is it safe to assume that you want Unity to service mailboxes on Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000 servers?

Ok, currently they are running in mixed mode. They have users on 2000 and 5.5. It just so happens that all the Unity users are on 5.5 at this point. Anyway, when you get to the "Configuration Setup" you are prompted to select which message store you are using 5.5 or 2000. I am guessing I select 5.5, but maybe that is wrong. If I select 2000, I can still have users that are on the 5.5 message store?

What is prompting this is this customer also has a bridge to an Ocetl and in order to use the Unity Bridge in mixed mode, the partner server must be a 2000 server:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a008015e975.shtml

Hopefully that is enough info, please let me know what other info you would like as well.

THANKS!!

Oh yeah you definitely have to select Exchange 2000 as the partner server. Even when Exchange 2000 is the partner server Unity can still service mailboxes in Exchange 5.5 land assuming permissions are setup correctly.

You technically could have got away with an Exchange 5.5 server as the partner server since all of the Unity users are there until you said you have a Bridge. With the Bridge the partner server must be Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003.

Thanks,

Keith

Ok, so I may be missing this peice as well:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst31/inst_020.htm#1510908

Correct, or don't worry about the above?

That coupled with selecting 2000 server as the mailstore/partner server should get me rolling along again.

Regards

Ok, lastly then. When I run the Configuration, I now select 2000 instead of 5.5. However, the Exchange 5.5 Server name is not in the drop down box, so I selected the 2000 server name. After that I need to select the mail store. The 5.5 mailstore does not show up and the 2000 mailstore does. Is this correct or should I see the 5.5 server and mailstore?

Man..not my day. Ok, I verified they have a two way connection agreement between 5.5 and 2000 so I don't need to add a 5.5 user, etc, etc. Anyway, I am almost there I think. However, at the end of the Configure Setup, when it is trying to connect to Exchange 2000, I get the following error:

"Failed to reassign the installer's account to the current user".

It tells me to start over. What is the error telling me?

It sounds like maybe we can find the SID for the user you are logged in with in the directory or something like that. Kinda of hard to say...

After a reboot does Unity start?

Unity does not start. The services are all set to logon as Local System. Permissions Wizard did not complain:

06/04/04 14:37:54

IMC\unityinstall

IMC.com/Unity already exists

IMC.com/Unity/Locations already exists

Installation account: IMC\unityinstall

IMC\unityinstall is already a member of the local Administrators group

SUCCEEDED granting privilege: SeTcbPrivilege

SUCCEEDED granting privilege: SeServiceLogonRight

Granting rights on: IMC.com/

SUCCEEDED granting OU create rights

Granting rights on: IMC.com/Unity/Locations

SUCCEEDED granting Location create rights

SUCCEEDED granting Location full control rights

Granting rights on: IMC.com/Exchange

SUCCEEDED granting User create rights

SUCCEEDED granting User read/modify rights

SUCCEEDED granting User change-password rights

SUCCEEDED granting User reset-password rights

SUCCEEDED granting Contact create rights

SUCCEEDED granting Contact read/modify rights

SUCCEEDED granting Group create rights

SUCCEEDED granting Group read/modify rights

Service account: IMC\UnityDirSvc

SUCCEEDED adding IMC\UnityDirSvc to the local Administrators group

SUCCEEDED granting privilege: SeTcbPrivilege

SUCCEEDED granting privilege: SeServiceLogonRight

Granting rights on: IMC.com/Unity/Locations

SUCCEEDED granting Location create rights

SUCCEEDED granting Location full control rights

Granting rights on: IMC.com/Exchange

SUCCEEDED granting User create rights

SUCCEEDED granting User read/modify rights

SUCCEEDED granting User change-password rights

SUCCEEDED granting User reset-password rights

SUCCEEDED granting Contact create rights

SUCCEEDED granting Contact read/modify rights

SUCCEEDED granting Group create rights

SUCCEEDED granting Group read/modify rights

Still getting that error when I get to the end of the Configure Setup.

I am logged in w/ the unityinstall account when I am running the setup.