Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway C: can't log in to webinterface anymore

Djeten
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We have a problem with our Expressway C. We can't log in to the webinterface anymore. SSH does not work either.

Logging into the vmware console of the server works with the same credentials.

I have tried to create a new admin user through CLI in the console but the issue remains the same.

We get the error 'Login Failed. Unable to login.'

Our Expressway E does not have this issue.

Any ideas?

kind regards

11 Replies 11

When you say you can’t log in, my understanding is that you reach the login page, but after entering the credentials, it says ‘unable to login.’ However, when you mentioned SSH doesn’t work, I’m a bit confused.

Can you reach both SSH and GUI? Is the only issue with the login?

Have you tried restarting the Expressway C?

If the problem is that the webpage doesn’t open and SSH doesn’t work, check if the Expressway certificate is valid. If not, you need to use WinSCP to access the Expressway, delete the old certificate, and this will create a new self-signed certificate, allowing you to access the GUI.

Response Signature

I can indeed reach the login page, but when I enter the credentials, I get this error:

Djeten_0-1724066196971.png

SSH does not work. 

Djeten_1-1724066591694.png

I know my credentials are right, because I can log in to the vmware console.

Is there a way to delete the old certificate through the CLI of the console? 

Try "Password Recovery" on your expressway & see what's happens..

login through Vmware Console using this user: pwrec
 & follow instructions.. 

>> my Telegram id: @morez_hadi + if this helped, please rate by click (Accept as solution) or (Helpful)

I don't think that this will fix the issue, since I can log in to the console with the password.

I have already tried creating a new user through the cli, but that user also can not log in to the web interface.

I also tried logging in with WinSCP, as  Nithin Eluvathingal suggested, but that doesn't work either.

what is your expressway C version ?..
and what's happened before this problem be occurred ? (like power outage, or something like that ? in your network or servers ?..)

Try to login with Different Browser like >> Chrome, FireFox, Edge, etc..
Try to login with Different PC System.. (also disable firewall + antivirus..)
Try to SSH with Different Software like >> Putty, SecureCRT, Mobaxterm, etc..

in the final, i suggest to Restore any previous working backup if you have.. (like if you got backup with veeam backup solution..)

>> my Telegram id: @morez_hadi + if this helped, please rate by click (Accept as solution) or (Helpful)

hello Mohammadreza,

the version is X12.6.1
There were no power outages or any other issues. I also don't know how long the issue is there because we don't log in to this expressway that much.

I already tried different browsers, with the same result every time. Also from other systems and different SSH clients.

I can check with our sysadmin team if they have a backup, but since I don't  know how long this issue is there, I don't know which backup to restore.

version 12.6.1 is outdated & it's very possible to have some bugs..
it's better to continuously check cisco updates for your products,
especially for Edge products like Expressway..

now cisco released version 14.x and latest version is 14.3.5 (also 14.0.11 is latest version with "option key" as license..)

also as dear @Nithin Eluvathingal said,
opening a cisco TAC is very good option..

Just one question: From the console, you mentioned it’s working. Which account are you using to log in from the console, the root or admin account? Are both accounts working for you from the console? Additionally, do you have a machine in the same subnet that can be used to access the expressway and give a try?

Response Signature

I am using the admin account. The root account also works on the console.

We have currently no machine in that subnet that I can use, but if it would be possible to install one. However, I do not think that this would change anything, since I can reach the webpage, and it is the login that fails

If both the Root and admin accounts work from the console, try accessing from a PC on the same subnet also try a  reboot of the expressway, If the issue persists after rebooting the expressway, open a TAC case

Response Signature