Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway-E behind the F5 Load Balancer

Sushant Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

Can we deploy Expressway-e for MRA behind the F5 Load balancer ?

16 Replies 16

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sushant,
Please check the following post with similar query

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12944191/vcse-or-exp-e-external-communication-f5-load-balancer

HTH

Manish

Dear Manish,

The answer is not clear there.

I want to you F5 just for L7 inspection.  I don't want to achieve any Load balancing. I will use dedicated Public IP for both the servers.

Dear Sushant,

Have you got the answer for this query.

We have the same requirement.Please help us if you have any comments.

Thanks

Saif

No, a load balancer is not supported with MRA, the MRA documentation outlines the design that is supported and it does not include/mention the use of any load balancer in front of EXP-E

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for the response.
My query was to introduce F5 for L7 inspection not for load balancing.

Is anyone able to provide a confirmation, that this advice is still valid. i.e. that a load balancer is not supported with MRA

Even if it’s not strictly technically supported we have been using F5 for years with MRA to provide geoDNS functionality. As such it is not acting as a load balancer, it just answers the DNS query for the SRV record and monitors the availability of the E nodes to direct the client to the nearest DC based on locality.

Response Signature

jwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Same here.  Expressway MRA behind F5 geoDNS appears to work.   The issue became for us is if an Expressway was unreachable  Our current F5 geoDNS config sends the traffic anyways.  Now looking at ways to alert and remove the Expressway from the Pool if it fails an advanced health check.  ICMP is not always enough.

We monitor the ports that the MRA service uses on each Expressway node with the monitoring functionality in F5. I can provide a screenshot of the configuration in F5 when I’m at work tomorrow.

Response Signature

This is how we have it setup in F5.

image.png
Do note that we use the Webex application, so we no longer have the XMPP (port 5222) protocol as part of the monitored ports. When we did use Jabber and CUPS for the IM and presence part we had that as well in the set list of monitors.

Response Signature

This is helpful.  Thank you.

Glad to hear that. Please use the Helpful vote option as that’s what drives the community.

Response Signature

For those monitors are they a Get request by chance?  Others from my team are also following and we were curious about that.  

I’ll need to get back to on that as I don’t know from the top of my head.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: