cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ghost Unity before upgrade to 4.0?

BrianChernish
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently running Unity 3.1(5) Unified Messaging, Exchange 2000 (separate box) and Call-Manager 3.3.3 I have the software and the needed license file here to upgrade Unity to version 4 and I am concerned about the number of failed upgrades that are being talked about.

My question is this: I have a spare Compaq DL320 server (identical to my Unity server). Can I do a Norton Ghost of the entire drive in my existing server, restore that Ghost image on the spare server, shut down the production server and bring up the spare?

If this works, I could then go about the process of doing my version 4 upgrade on the running server (in my maintenance window of course – since Unity would be unavailable during the upgrade) and if it blows up – I would be in a position of shutting it down and reverting to the other configured server.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

--Thanks, Brian

1 Reply 1

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can, of course, do a Ghost backup before your upbrade but TAC doesn't support Ghost and isn't going to help with any problems from restoring a Ghost image - They support using DiRT to backup or a supported backup system such as BackupExec.

We reccomend doing a DiRT bacup whenever doing an upgrade - in fact it will be launched more or less automatically on upgrades to 4.0(4).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: