Views
Helpful
Replies

how to verify connectivity between cucm and ios gateway for sip trunk

Wonxie
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i have an ios gateway on which my isp sip is terminated and cucm is linked to this ios gateway via sip trunk.

while i can check with network guy to see if the connectivity is ok between cucm and the ios gateway but how can i test and verify if ip phones connected to my cucm are being routed via this. i have a route pattern that will route traffic to this gateway from cucm. but in debugs ccsip all i cant see any hit and calls are not proceeding. 

and in rtmt session  trace is giving below error. any guidance will be greatly appreciated

Collecting session information from node VoipPUB
Collecting session information from node VoipSUB
VoipPUB[CollectableFileImpl[name=ccm00000228.txt.gz,absolutePath=/var/log/active/cm/trace/ccm/sdi/ccm00000228.txt.gz,modifiedDate=Feb 12 18:22:51 GMT 2023,size=276990,componentPath=null,isTrace=true,safeName=ccm00000228.txt.gz], CollectableFileImpl[name=ccm00000229.txt.gzo,absolutePath=/var/log/active/cm/trace/ccm/sdi/ccm00000229.txt.gzo,modifiedDate=Feb 12 19:48:22 GMT 2023,size=225285,componentPath=null,isTrace=true,safeName=ccm00000229.txt.gzo], CollectableFileImpl[name=SDL001_100_000203.txt.gz,absolutePath=/var/log/active/cm/trace/ccm/sdl/SDL001_100_000203.txt.gz,modifiedDate=Feb 12 18:34:00 GMT 2023,size=199826,componentPath=null,isTrace=true,safeName=SDL001_100_000203.txt.gz], CollectableFileImpl[name=SDL001_100_000204.txt.gzo,absolutePath=/var/log/active/cm/trace/ccm/sdl/SDL001_100_000204.txt.gzo,modifiedDate=Feb 12 19:48:19 GMT 2023,size=121555,componentPath=null,isTrace=true,safeName=SDL001_100_000204.txt.gzo], CollectableFileImpl[name=calllogs_00000001.txt.gzo,absolutePath=/var/log/active/cm/trace/ccm/calllogs/calllogs_00000001.txt.gzo,modifiedDate=Feb 12 18:34:01 GMT 2023,size=54446,componentPath=null,isTrace=true,safeName=calllogs_00000001.txt.gzo]]: error encountered while downloading traces. Please check RTMT logs for further details.
Download failed for calllogs_00000001.txt.gzo
VoipPUB : No files to download
VoipSUB[CollectableFileImpl[name=ccm00000372.txt.gz,absolutePath=/var/log/active/cm/trace/ccm/sdi/ccm00000372.txt.gz,modifiedDate=Feb 12 18:40:13 GMT 2023,size=330249,componentPath=null,isTrace=true,safeName=ccm00000372.txt.gz], CollectableFileImpl[name=ccm00000373.txt.gzo,absolutePath=/var/log/active/cm/trace/ccm/sdi/ccm00000373.txt.gzo,modifiedDate=Feb 12 19:48:24 GMT 2023,size=337789,componentPath=null,isTrace=true,safeName=ccm00000373.txt.gzo], CollectableFileImpl[name=SDL002_100_000174.txt.gz,absolutePath=/var/log/active/cm/trace/ccm/sdl/SDL002_100_000174.txt.gz,modifiedDate=Feb 12 18:58:38 GMT 2023,size=240015,componentPath=null,isTrace=true,safeName=SDL002_100_000174.txt.gz], CollectableFileImpl[name=calllogs_00000001.txt.gzo,absolutePath=/var/log/active/cm/trace/ccm/calllogs/calllogs_00000001.txt.gzo,modifiedDate=Feb 12 19:35:14 GMT 2023,size=227285,componentPath=null,isTrace=true,safeName=calllogs_00000001.txt.gzo]]: error encountered while downloading traces. Please check RTMT logs for further details.
Download failed for calllogs_00000001.txt.gzo
VoipSUB : No files to download

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If the only thing that has changed is the use of a new model of firewall this is where you should focus your attention. Logically this is where your problem lies.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

All the shared RTMT output shows is download errors for various files, that doesn’t give any clue to the issue you have. To see if the call hits the gateway I would suggest that you run debug voip ccapi inout and debug ccsip message. Running ccsip all is not advisable as it puts a high load on the gateway. One way to see if the gateway and CM has connectivity is to use SIP option ping. Do a search for how to set this up and if you cannot figure out how to get it setup please get back to this post.

Response Signature

i have above debugs enabled and term mon on. but no debug messages on the router. the callmanger has the right dial pattern and settings in place to forward calls to it.

sh debugging

The following ISDN debugs are enabled on all DSLs:

debug isdn error is ON.
debug isdn q931 is ON. (filter is OFF)
DIALPEER:
debug voip dialpeer inout is ON (filter is OFF)
CCAPI:
debug voip ccapi inout is ON (filter is OFF)
CCSIP SPI: SIP Call Statistics tracing is enabled (filter is OFF)
CCSIP SPI: SIP Call Message tracing is enabled (filter is OFF)
CCSIP SPI: SIP Call State Machine tracing is enabled (filter is OFF)
CCSIP SPI: SIP Call Events tracing is enabled (filter is OFF)
CCSIP SPI: SIP error debug tracing is enabled (filter is OFF)
CCSIP SPI: SIP info debug tracing is enabled (filter is OFF)
CCSIP SPI: SIP media debug tracing is enabled (filter is OFF)
CCSIP SPI: SIP Call preauth tracing is enabled (filter is OFF)
CCSIP SPI: SIP Call transport tracing is enabled (filter is OFF)
CCSIP SPI: SIP DHCP tracing is enabled (filter is OFF)
CCSIP SPI: SIP Out-of-Dialog tracing is enabled (filter is OFF)

If you do not see any output with those debugs turned on the call is not reaching the gateway from CM. Do a DNA to verify that CM does state that the call should be sent to that specific gateway. If it does and you still do not see anything there is likely something that blocks the traffic from getting into the router.

Response Signature

May I ask why you’re having ISDN debugs activated when you have a SIP connection to your service provider?

Response Signature

IF there is firewall between CUCM and Gateway, its recommended to turn of the SIp inspection on firewall.

As @Roger Kallberg  mentioned Debug Voice CCAPi Inout and debug CCSIP messages will help you identify if calls are landing on this gateway.  debugs ccsip all  is not recommended as this will affect the router performance.

Response Signature

there is FTD in place in between cucm and my ios sip gateway. network guy is saying its fully allowed communication between them

SIp Inspection is a different thing. Even if they have a policy any any between CUCM and IOS gateway ask them to disable the SIP inspection and its a global settings.

Can you enable option ping on sip profile and apply this on the CUCM trunk. This will show you if the Trunk is UP or not.

Also from CUCM  CLI you can check the connectivity using utils network connectivity command.

Response Signature

i have enabled the option ping. where in cucm will it show the status ?

also i checked the command utils network connectivity  but does it works when the other end is an ios gateway  instaed of another cucm of cluster ?

also i turned debugs ccsip all on router and reset the trunk from cucm i didnt see any debug messages .. what does that indicate ?

Is will be seen here.

image.png

You can also look in the gateway to check the status of the dial peer that points to CM.
image.png

Response Signature

i checked mine is cucm 8.6 and its not showing that info in the trunks.

also on ios gateway the dial peer point to my cucm is up.

the issue is that no call goes from the cucm side to the router. the network guy started packet capture and there were no packets desitned to the ios gateway. while the DNA is showing the proper routing (rp>rl>rg>device).

i used csim start command and got below result from this router. from other router i am getting calls properly.

csim start 7225
csim: Test started.This command can only be run one at a time.
csim: called number = 7225, loop count = 1 ping count = 0

csim err:csim_do_test invalid major major(1024) minor(0x0)
csim err csimDisconnected recvd DISC cid(9151)
csim: loop = 1, failed = 1
csim: call attempted = 1, setup failed = 1, tone failed = 0

here is my dial peer summary

#sh dial-peer voice summary

Wonxie_1-1676642512473.png

8.6 is end of everything. Advise you to upgrade your system to a supported version.

If there is no traffic seen in a packet capture there is likely something that is wrong in the configuration in CM, like wrong IP address on the SIP trunk configuration element or something that simply stops the traffic from reaching the point where the packet capture is made. You can do a packet capture directly in CM from the CLI, that should be clear of any traffic hindering. If you still do not see any traffic from the CMs to the gateway in that there is likely either something wrongly configured or you’re hitting some defect. Has this ever worked?

Response Signature

1- ips are correctly configured

2: this was working fine before the firewall replacement 

3: i have started the packet capture on CUCM and the only traffic i see is it sending to the router having the ios gateway. and no resoonse from the router

4: the router can ping the call maanger and vice versa and its shown in wireshark capture taken from cucm as well .

5: on tracing from router to the cm i get complete trace in 2 hops. but trace from call manager to router it gives stars at first hop.

admin:utils network traceroute 10.65.12.3
traceroute to 10.65.12.3 (10.65.12.3), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 * * *
2 * * *
3 * * *
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 *

attaching a picture of wireshark

If the only thing that has changed is the use of a new model of firewall this is where you should focus your attention. Logically this is where your problem lies.

Response Signature

Immense thanks for all your efforts . finaly the network guy resolved it. it was some issue at his end. nothing was wrong or had t be chnaged at cucm/ios gateway end. besides i also enabled the option pings.

once again bundle of thanks for your guidance.