cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IM&P v11.5 Cluster Stuck In Failover State

Chris M
Level 1
Level 1

I noticed new users are not being assigned to IM&P servers.  When trying to assign them to a presence server in CUCM I received an error stating "Update failed. Cannot assign a user to a server that is not in a valid state".

On the IM&P servers there is an error stating "An automatic failover has been initiated due to the peer node being down" on the same day there was a network hardware failure in the core. In CUCM > System > Presence Redundancy Groups for IM&P it shows node 1 as "Running in Backup Mode" and node 2 as "Taking Over".  Both reasons state "Peer Down".

They appear to be stuck in this state, and I can't find a document on how to best manually force them back.  I assume it would be as simple as restarting some service(s) but I'm not sure which one(s).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris M
Level 1
Level 1
Thanks Hari Prasad for the reply.
I had contacted TAC with the tomcat logs.
After reviewing replication and finding no issues I was instructed to attempt to force HA failover in the CLI but this did not work as the devices were not in a working state.
What worked was going into CUCM > System > Presence Redundancy Groups, select the group and disable HA. Then I restarted both presence servers. When they came back the Tomcat services were running fine. Once all services were up, I enabled HA in CUCM and tested adding a user successfully. Users can also log in to Jabber.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chris M
Level 1
Level 1
Update: Rebooted the publisher IM&P but Cisco Tomcat will not start now, despite "utils system start Cisco Tomcat". Creating a TAC case.

Hari Prasad
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Chris,

Could you please share outputs.

CUCM PUB>>

utils dbreplication runtimestate

Show network cluster

utils diagnose test.

Utils service list

Presence Node PUB->>

utils diagnose test

utils service list

Please rate helpful posts
Thanks, Hari Prasad

Chris M
Level 1
Level 1
Thanks Hari Prasad for the reply.
I had contacted TAC with the tomcat logs.
After reviewing replication and finding no issues I was instructed to attempt to force HA failover in the CLI but this did not work as the devices were not in a working state.
What worked was going into CUCM > System > Presence Redundancy Groups, select the group and disable HA. Then I restarted both presence servers. When they came back the Tomcat services were running fine. Once all services were up, I enabled HA in CUCM and tested adding a user successfully. Users can also log in to Jabber.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: