cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IM and Presence Maximum number of users

wabrown
Level 1
Level 1

We have a standalone IM and P cluster that we are using in a CUCM SME environment. Does the maximum number of users for the IM and Presence cluster apply to the number of users we expect to be actively using IM and Presence services, or does it apply to actual number of users assigned to the IM and Presence servers, regardless if they are using the service? I ask, because I'd like to check the "Enable User for Unified CM IM and Presence" box in our CUCM user template for our Standalone IM and P cluster. We have a 3rd party CUCM provisioning tool that will select the necessary Service Profile on the user's Home Cluster and when that SP requires IM and P, it will already be enabled for that user in the IM & P cluster. This will almost triple our number of users enabled for IM&P, but only a third will actually be using IM&P. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Collaboration Sizing Guide for CSR 14 strongly implies that merely adding them counts, even if they don’t login to Jabber. This makes sense because other users could, hypothetically, add that person to their contact list, creating a watcher subscription. And of course, IM&P would then need to process presence state changes for that user (eg on the phone, in a meeting).

IM and presence features have significant impact on system performance above and beyond the number of users assigned to IM and Presence and the number of devices per user.

A centralized IM and Presence cluster can provide presence service for users on multiple remote Unified CM clusters; however, the total number of users across all the remote Unified CM clusters must not exceed 75,000, assuming that each user has a single client. Multiple clients per user would reduce this limit.

Cisco employees and partners have access to a UC Sizing Tool that should also help to validate this.

Personally, I would ask your Cisco account team to reach out to the BU for an official answer in writing so you have it for future arguments with TAC.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

From what I know it’s the number of enabled users, ie the user who has the setting that you ask about set. Can you not have the 3:d party provision tool set the setting for users that are set to have IM&P as well as setting the service profile?

Response Signature

wabrown
Level 1
Level 1

I'm getting pushback on it, but I think they will ultimately need to be able to do this in order to get our business. 

May I be so bold to ask what is the 3:rd party provisioning system that your looking at?

Response Signature

We are currently using Kurmi and we were evaluating Ziro. I have used Ziro in my previous two positions and have always been a big fan. We were able to find a workaround for this, but ultimately, given our complex multi-cluster environment, we've decided to stick with Kurmi. 

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Collaboration Sizing Guide for CSR 14 strongly implies that merely adding them counts, even if they don’t login to Jabber. This makes sense because other users could, hypothetically, add that person to their contact list, creating a watcher subscription. And of course, IM&P would then need to process presence state changes for that user (eg on the phone, in a meeting).

IM and presence features have significant impact on system performance above and beyond the number of users assigned to IM and Presence and the number of devices per user.

A centralized IM and Presence cluster can provide presence service for users on multiple remote Unified CM clusters; however, the total number of users across all the remote Unified CM clusters must not exceed 75,000, assuming that each user has a single client. Multiple clients per user would reduce this limit.

Cisco employees and partners have access to a UC Sizing Tool that should also help to validate this.

Personally, I would ask your Cisco account team to reach out to the BU for an official answer in writing so you have it for future arguments with TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: