Views
Helpful
Replies

It is possible to damage a POE NIC that is connected to a POE Switch

jchapar74
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,  

Hope you doing good.  I have an issue with a Network Card that is at a robot cpu,  the Robot computer has several cards ,  some of them are NIC cards with four ports that provide POE to peripherals like Cameras, etc . 

The engineers in charge of this machine  connect the switchport with POE  to the NIC with POE ports.  This is causing that all devices connected to this POE NIC lost the POE.  The device that I am using is Cisco C9410R  with Modules C9400-LC-48P.  

I already disable the power with "power inline never" at the switchport on Cisco C9410R  but is the same behavior.

The problem is that the ports used to be connected to a Cisco WS-C3750X-48P  and without any issue.  

Do you know if Cisco C9410 preforms an initial power test to identify if the end station require power ?
Thanks

2 Replies 2

Hi

Switches use CDP or LLDP protocol in order to identify the device and negociate the Power requirements. 

You can try disable both protocol if enable. 

But, if I got it right, this NIC you have is like a switch  ? As it connect others device and provide PoE. Make sure you dont have any conflict when connecting to the cisco switch. Check for STP for example, if the Cisco switch identify it as another switch  and depending the configuration, the port can be disabled or blocked. 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it can. 

Old generation of PoE NICs have power regulator.  The first few "generations" of power regulator do not "auto regulate" and requires the operator to manually configure how much power goes down to the NIC (or use an injector).  Take note, those old generation of NICs were operating in an era of 15.4 wac.  Nowadays, some of the Catalyst 9k switches can do 60.0 wac.  

I have also seen old generation of PoE NICs that are incompatible with IOS-XE even with LLDP turned on, however, the same NICs works fine with classic IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: