cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

JUMP UPGRADE FOR CUCM BE5000 6.1.4 TO 9.1.2 NOT SUPPORTED???

asarmiento85
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any jump upgrade supported on BE 5000?

I have been doing it but with no luck.

Here is what I have done:

- Created VM from OVA, there is no option for BE5000, so I got the 7500 Users Option when creating the VM from the OVA (This way the VM is provisioned with 2 vCPU 110 GB HDD and 6GB of Memory

- Changed the OS to be Red Hat 3 32bit

- installing Version 6.1.4 on VMware as part of the Jump upgrade

- I did not load the DRS backup from MCS (I'm just trying to validate my point first)

- Uploaded COP file V1.2

- Did not restart the VM machine

- Initiate upgrade to Version 9.1.2

**THE UPGRADE GOES WELL ALL THE WAY!!!!

Doing the same thing all over but squeezing in the middle the DRS restore did not work for me, I have done it zillion times already and with no luck. TAC states that this upgrade is not supported and taht I need to perform the upgrade directly on the MCS (Requires downtime and a 128GB hard drive).

Please if you have done this migration I will really appreciate if you can help or send me some word  of advise. to the Cisco Business Unit, please create a procedure for this.

Thank you.

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot DRS from a 5K into a standalone or 6K, no way around that. You need to use BAT, or manual migration to move the info.
Its not supported because of that.
I cant tell if you're a partner from the iPad, if you're, theres a doc for 5K to 6K migration in the partner community

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Java,

Sorry for not explaining myself properly.

I'm looking to upgrade the BE5K from version 6.1.4 to version 9.1.2 so that I can then migrate to BE6K as instructed on the document you mention.

As mentioned in the document I need to have it at least on version 9.1 so that the migration is supported, that is why I'm upgrading the BE5K in the first place.

My upgrade keeps failing after doing the DRS, restarting the system, uploading the COP v 1.2 and trigger the upgrade to 9.1.2 with the following error:

fsck.ext3: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) (/partB)

e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!

The other issue that I have is that TAC says that what I'm doing is not supported and that I have to perfomr this on the physical server.

** this has to be supported if not it would not show on the download page of the COP file:

I hope I'm not alone on this one and see if anyone on the community can recommend something that has worked for them. **In other upgrades I have been able to take the physical upgrade up to version 8.0.3 and upgrade to 9.X from there, but this physical server just does not like version 8.0.3

Thank you.

And theyre right, jump upgrade is not meant for 5K. Otherwise why would there be a 5K to 6K doc which doesnt tell you to do so??? Or at least mentions it as an option.

Not sure what you say it has to be supported because of the cop file.

If you dont want to to upgrade, use BAT right now and just import the info into a fresh 9.1.2 install

HTH

java

I like that idea, but how do I get the Unity Connection piece out of there? the version is 2.1.4ES10.1212-10 - as far as I know COBRAS will not work with this release, correct me if I'm wrong. In case there is something else that I can use to get greetings and voicemails please let me know.

I meant the following from the COP file, the last two lines on the attached image.

Thank you.

And you need to use it alright, but i fail to see where it implies you can do a jump upgrade?????

If your server supports the upgrade to 9.1.2, then, you use the cop file.

For CUC you would need to upgrade to at least 7.x the whole system so you can use COBRAS

HTH

java

Hi there,

I just wanted to update this post and share my experience (A lot of mixed up feelings on this one!!!!).

The server was an MCS7828-H3 which required an external powered hard drive to do the upgrade to 9.1.2 - when we did it for the first time it failed with what is supposed to be connection errors? and needed to return back to initial configuration (yes fresh install and recover from DRS).

At this point customer was scared because I was up until late doing the recovery!!!

My solution maybe not the best one but it worked for me:

- I bought an exact same server from a customer that I had just upgraded (using a shorter version of what you are about to see).

- Installed everything from DRS on version 6.1.4.

- Upgraded it to version 6.1.5

- Upgraded it to version 7.1.5

- Upgraded it to version 8.5

- Virtualized it on version 8.5

- Refresh upgrade to version 9.1.2

- The rest I did it following the BE5K to BE6K migration.

I could have done the refresh upgrade from any of the versions and I did but it failed all the time. I think the hard drive I was using was not supported.

The process worked out perfectly and I have done it like that with 2 different customers using this extra Server (The best ZERO down time), but is a shame that there is not supported jump upgrade for BE5000. Although there is always hope and if you want to be sure and if getting another MCS is a possibility, then get it!!

Those were my two cents!! BTW Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions!!

Thank you!!