Views
Helpful
Replies

License Usage Question

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Everyone

I have a quick question, we are currently over the limit for our Basic license requirements and now I'm getting the error message when I log into CUCM. So I logged into the PLM server and it says required for basic is 314 and installed is 246 and available is -36. My manager order 40 CUWL standard to take care of the issue but what I wanted to know is would that leave me with only 4 license once I install it to take care of the -36, I've attached a screen shot as well.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, it would.

It's important to note that a lower-level license request (like for Basic) will consume a higher-level license to stay in compliance. You are purchasing CUWL licenses which are, I believe, more expensive than Basic Licenses. It might be worthwhile to see if you can purchase less-expensive licenses like more Basic or Enhanced licenses.

Also, make sure that you have ownership of devices configured wherever possible. Take, for example, a user that has a phone and also an SNR profile. The SNR profile must be "owned" and will consume a Basic License. If the phone's owner is listed as "Anonymous" it will also consume (I believe) a Basic License. But if you assign the SNR users as the owner of the phone as well both devices will consume a single Enhanced Plus license.

Which means that if ownership is assigned throughout your system you may be able to reduce your overall existing license consumption.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Yes, it would.

It's important to note that a lower-level license request (like for Basic) will consume a higher-level license to stay in compliance. You are purchasing CUWL licenses which are, I believe, more expensive than Basic Licenses. It might be worthwhile to see if you can purchase less-expensive licenses like more Basic or Enhanced licenses.

Also, make sure that you have ownership of devices configured wherever possible. Take, for example, a user that has a phone and also an SNR profile. The SNR profile must be "owned" and will consume a Basic License. If the phone's owner is listed as "Anonymous" it will also consume (I believe) a Basic License. But if you assign the SNR users as the owner of the phone as well both devices will consume a single Enhanced Plus license.

Which means that if ownership is assigned throughout your system you may be able to reduce your overall existing license consumption.

Thanks Maren that's what I thought, I'm going to tell my manager we need to order like another 40 to have a buffer.