Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from CallManager 8.5.1 to CallManager 10.5

shaikh ibrahim
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts ;

I have one query i.e we are doing upgrade from CM 8.5.1 to CM 10.5 also migrated from MCS to VM . My question is that,

what is the best way to do this migration either manually or  Automated ( through PCD . )

Note : my plan is to used new ip address for CM 10.5.

Regards;

Shib

26 Replies 26

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Shib,

the best is to opt for PCD.

While discovering of cluster, u would get option of Define Migration Destination Cluster, would get option of Destination Network Settings .

Under this , u would get Enter new network settings for one or more  destination nodes or use the source node network settings for all destination nodes.

regds,

aman

Thanks Aman .

What about phone firmware or CTL file for the phones ??  in some cases i have seen that

factory reset is require after migration . What is the best way to avoid this issue cause we have around 2000 phones.

Hi ,

What u can do is that u can try upgrading each model of the phone u have in CUCM 8.5 to latest firmware prior to doing migration to CUCM 10?

regds,

aman

Hello Aman,

I'm in a similar situation as the OP [8.0.3 to 10.0(1)] and plan to use a new IP address for CUCM 10.x but I am not able to use PCD because of VMWare licensing limitation. I have "hypervisor" license (see attached) which is not compatible with PCD according to PCD Admin Guide.

Can you tell me (or send me a link to a resource) on how to accomplish this task?

What type of upgrade am I looking at? Can I just backup 8.0.3 and then restore to 10.0(1)?

Thank you,

Randy

You can only DRS restore on the exact same version from which you took the backup.

If you're on MCS, you would need to DRS restore on UCS.

Then you can either change the IPs, or keep upgrading until 10.x, then change the IPs.

If you're already on UC, same options, either change right away the IPs, then upgrade, or upgrade, and change the IPs on 10.x

You need to review the RNs, upgrade guides, and new and changed docs before the upgrade to fully understand all that is required, and all the changes you'll need to do to the VMs. All the information is available under the CUCM documentation on cisco.com

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi All ;

I have the same situation upgrading from 8.5 to 10.5 but plan to do manual method upgrade with same IP address not using automated  method(PCD).

My question is that what  are the main  consideration  for such type of upgrade.? .

From

KV

Since we're on a similar scenario, thought I'd share what I've gathered so far..

Do you still have your current CUCM publisher running on a physical server? If so, you'll have to virtualize it first. Do a DRS backup of your current server to a network location. Perform a clean install of 8.5 on a VM using an OVA from Cisco downloads. Make sure IP address, hostname, and versions matches your physical CUCM node. Do a DRS restore to the VM from the DRS backup of the physical CUCM node.

There might be more to be done if you have Subscriber nodes but you can find that out in the DRS Admin Guide of your CUCM release.

This video helped me in moving from physical to virtual:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luv7Vb0Wvco

I'm at this point for now then I'll do a refresh upgrade.

My 2 cents,

Randy

Hi Randy,

I'm in a similar situation - planning a migration of physical servers on version 8.0(3) to virtual 10.5(1). I'm curious how your migration went? I tried to watch the youtube video in your post, but it says "this video is private."

I wanted to use PCD, but our partner said they have not yet been able to get it to work successfully and suggested doing the migration / upgrade manually. I'm planning to virtualize at version 8.0(3) then upgrade to 10.5. I'm having trouble finding documentation for doing the upgrade manually. My first hurdle is figuring out what OVA template to start with. I have two UCS 220 M3 servers running esxi version 5.5. Do I start with the 10.5(1) OVA template since that's my target?

Any advice is appreciated!

Lisa

Thank you, Aman, for your reply. The first link is one I have bookmarked and have read through thoroughly. I have found it  very helpful.

I'm still not sure what OVA template to use to create my 8.0(3) VMs. Can I install 8.0(3) VMs on a 10.5 OVA template or should I stick with a 9.1(x) OVA? My ESXi version is 5.5.

Thanks again!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

for CUCM 8.0(3), ESXi supported is 5.1

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Virtualization_for_Cisco_Unified_Communications_Manager_(CUCM)

you will need to match the settings as per new OVA template of cucm version to be migrated.

regds,

aman

Hello Lisa,

I'm embarassed to say that I'm still in the process of migration. Since I need to migrate 3 UC apps (CUCM, UCCX, Unity), I'm being really careful each step and watching out for "fires" every time I did a significant step in the process. I decided scrap out my initial migrate process and start over. I decided to start migrating Unity to UCXN first, then CUCM and UCCX after.

After lots of research on how to use PCD, I was never able to use it with my hardware because of the virtualization license limitation. Here's an excerpt from the PCD administration guide:

Virtualization Software License Types

Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment is not compatible with all license types of VMware vSphere ESXi, as some of these licenses do not enable required VMware APIs.

The following are compatible with Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment:

* Cisco UC Virtualization Foundation (appears as "Foundation Edition" in vSphere Client) * VMware vSphere Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Enterprise Plus Edition * Evaluation mode license The following are NOT compatible with Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment:

* Cisco UC Virtualization Hypervisor (appears as "Hypervisor Edition" in vSphere Client) * VMware vSphere Hypervisor Edition

In my lab, I found that using "cucm_9.1_vmv8_v1.7.ova" worked well for me. I was virtualize CUCM 8.0.3 using this OVA (just make sure DNS and IP address settings are exactly the same). I plan to do a refresh upgrade form here.

Using the 10.5 OVA template did not work for me. I couldn't install CUCM 8.0.3 on it. I would get an error message in the middle of installation.

Hope that helps and good luck. Let me know how you're migration went/goes. Maybe we can help each other out.

-Randy C.

Thanks for the info and update, Randy. I understand and appreciate your caution - things can go very wrong quickly if you don't pay attention to the readme files. I'm doing my best to avoid that!

I was told by Cisco TAC two months ago (when I still had an active contract) that I could use the 9.1 OVA template, though our vendor told me I had to use the 8.0 OVA. So much conflicting information is making this migration a real challenge.

I'll keep in contact with you so we can compare notes / experience.

Jaime,

I'm finally able to create a virtualized environment of our current CUCM 8.0.3 publisher node in the lab. Now, I'm trying to do the refresh upgrade by following the "Upgrade Guide for CUCM, Release 10.0(1)" but I am a little confused. When do I change the virtual machine settings? Before or after I install the upgrade to 10.0(1)?

I'm comparing the OVAs I'm using right now (cucm_9.1_vmv8_v1.7.ova) versus the OVA for version 10 (cucm_10.0_vmv8_v1.7.ova), I see one difference and that's the Guest OS version and architecture. Since I'm coming from 8.0.3, my VM is currently in RHEL 4 (32-bit) but for CUCM 10.0(1), VM needs to be RHEL 6 (64-bit).

I'm not sure when to change my VM settings.

Your input is much appreciated,

Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: