Views
Helpful
Replies

MigrationFX: A few unanswered questions

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

Hi everyone!

I looked a bit into the Migrationfx product which may aid with swapping old phones with new ones (for a Cisco UC system). I have a few questions which I would be happy if you could answer:

1) How is the integration between Migrationfx and CUCM performed? Is it an AXL implementation which requires some coding know-how?

2) Technically speaking, how does it recognise which old phone is being swapped? Do I need to enable CDP for it to work?

3) The demonstration I saw online required providing username and PIN to make the swap. Is there a solution for public space phones which aren't associated with a user?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jason Newman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nadav,

I realize this is an old thread, but having spent some time with this product myself I have discovered more on how the product actually works.  There is no need to know how to code at all, and the username / pin is an option which isn't required to be used.

Zero Touch Migration

This process relies on auto-registration and configuring device templates. So keep in mind if you have a secure cluster the Zero-Touch migration process doesn't fully work.  You have to BAT in the devices with dummy configuration / install certificates before shipping them to users.  But in the basic deployment of CUCM the following steps occur:

1) Administrator preconfigures a device template for each new phone model.  (This can be done generically by model or specifically for each device).

2) New phones are shipped to users.

3) User will unplug their current phone and plug in the new one (to the same port!  this is important)

4) The phone will auto register to CUCM and retrieve an idle service parameter.  This forces it to connect to the MigrationFX service.

5) The MigrationFX server will detect a new phone is plugged into that specfic port.  This is done by a combination of webpage access to the phone and the use of CDP.  So to answer your question, yes CDP must be utilized for this method to work.

6) After detecting the new phone, MigrationFX will automatically create a new device in CUCM for the new device and pull in the old device configuration.

7) The phone automatically resets and registers to CUCM with the new device configuration.  The old device can be kept or automatically deleted.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jason Newman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nadav,

I realize this is an old thread, but having spent some time with this product myself I have discovered more on how the product actually works.  There is no need to know how to code at all, and the username / pin is an option which isn't required to be used.

Zero Touch Migration

This process relies on auto-registration and configuring device templates. So keep in mind if you have a secure cluster the Zero-Touch migration process doesn't fully work.  You have to BAT in the devices with dummy configuration / install certificates before shipping them to users.  But in the basic deployment of CUCM the following steps occur:

1) Administrator preconfigures a device template for each new phone model.  (This can be done generically by model or specifically for each device).

2) New phones are shipped to users.

3) User will unplug their current phone and plug in the new one (to the same port!  this is important)

4) The phone will auto register to CUCM and retrieve an idle service parameter.  This forces it to connect to the MigrationFX service.

5) The MigrationFX server will detect a new phone is plugged into that specfic port.  This is done by a combination of webpage access to the phone and the use of CDP.  So to answer your question, yes CDP must be utilized for this method to work.

6) After detecting the new phone, MigrationFX will automatically create a new device in CUCM for the new device and pull in the old device configuration.

7) The phone automatically resets and registers to CUCM with the new device configuration.  The old device can be kept or automatically deleted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: