cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MTP Preferred Originating Codec

Network Admin
Level 1
Level 1

What does the MTP Preferred Originating codec means ?

1.  This will affect for Outgoing calls to CUBE  or Incoming calls from CUBE  ?

2.  What is the effect if I change this parameter 711ulaw to 711alaw  ?

3.  How does it reflect on the inbound and outbound dial-peers between CUBE  and CUCM  ?

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will only be user if you check "Media termination point required" on the trunk/GW, otherwise it's grayed out and not used (as you can see in your screen shot).  If you do decide to use MTP and check the checkbox then you will be able to select appropriate codec from this drop down menu and allocation will be based on the trunk's MRGL/MRG setup where MTP with specific codec will be selected, if you selected G711 but call needs to be G729 for example a transcoder will be pulled as well. 

This is no impact on call routing, hence no affect on dial-peers.

Below is my Scenario for SIP Trunk :-

Inbound Calls :-       ISP-SIP cloud --------G711alaw---->>[CUBE Router]------G.711alaw----->>[CUCM] (G.711ulaw

Outbound Calls :-    ISP-SIP cloud<< --------G711alaw----[CUBE Router] <<------G.711ulaw ----[CUCM] (G.711ulaw)

I have my Transcoder Configured in CUBE and registered to CUCM 10.5 and added to MRGL of this SIP Trunk between CUBE and CUCM.

In this scenario , For inbound Calls , as soon as the G.711alaw reaches the CUCM it converts to G.711ulaw as we have CUBE Transcoder directly registered on CUCM.

But for Outbound Calls , a G.711ulaw Call reaches the CUBE and the CUBE itself should convert the G.711ulaw to G.711alaw. But there is no Transcoder locally registered in CUBE and this CUBE transcoder is directly registered on CUCM.

What will be the Solution for this Scenario ?

Is there a reason you are not sending the call as alaw all the way through?

If there is a reason, couple of things I am thinking:

1. use transcoder registered to CUBE instead of CUCM assuming you have proper IOS version

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-border-element/115018-configure-cube-lti.html

2. Send call as alaw from CUCM to CUBE

Is there a reason you are not sending the call as alaw all the way through? --> Please Clarify when you say all the way through ?

1. use transcoder registered to CUBE instead of CUCM assuming you have proper IOS version :

If I use transcoder , that is registered locally on CUBE , I have some other calls going from CUCM to other branch offices as G.729 through a different WAN link  where we need this Xcoder to be registered in CUCM to convert those G.711ulaw to G.729

2. Send call as alaw from CUCM to CUBE

If I want to  send all the calls going to CUBE from CUCM to be alaw , where I have to configure it on CUCM side ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: