cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Presence Engine Service will not start - IM & Presence 10.x Secondary

jeffrey-hughes
Level 1
Level 1

I have a ucm/uc/presence cluster that was on ver 8.6.  Successfully upgrade both UCM servers, both UC servers, and the PResence server to version 10.5.

I am not adding a secondary IM & P server.  After installation completed, I activated all services, everything has started except the Presence Engine Service.

I have restarted both servers, checked dbreplication, secondary server is configured in Servers under UCM, but still can't get the Presence Engine to start.

I get the message "Component is not running Cisco Presence Engine [NOTRUNNING].

Thank you in advance for any help.

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried disabling and re-enabling the service??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you for the quick reply Jaime.  I deactivated the Presence Engine Service and reactivated.  It eventually ended up in a "not running" state.  SSH into server, started the service, end up with:

Component is not running
Cisco Presence Engine[NOTRUNNING]

jeffrey-hughes
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone else seen this or have any ideas?

I just finished an upgrade from 8.6 to 9.1 for CUPS - seeing the exact same thing.  The presence engine will start on the publisher but not on the subscriber.  I'm scrambling to find a more useful error message than what RTMT is saying but I can't find anything.

I just opened a TAC case - I'll let ya know what I find.

Thank you, please do. I have not had time to revisit this issue with my client. My next would be a TAC case always. 

Was TAC able to find the cause of the Presence Engine Service not starting?

jeffrey-hughes
Level 1
Level 1

**Answered**

Before the Secondary Presence Engine service can be started, the server has to be added to a Subcluster.  

Go to UCM Administration, System, Presence Redundancy Groups.

Choose the appropriate group.

Under the "Presence Redundancy Group Configuration" select the secondary server from the "Presence Server" drop down.

You can now go back to the Presence server and start the services.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: