cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about dual integration - Avaya phones on a Unity via QSIG

joelalli123
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone had any luck with this type of integration? Here is Cisco document on it: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a00803d22cd.shtml#cu_ip_phones

A few of the integration steps seem to be missing from this document, such as how to program coverage in the Avaya system and how Avaya uses the Cisco MWI on/off codes. Can anyone explain this?

I noticed that this integration was tested with an Avaya s8700. I am interested in doing this on an Avaya G3R if possible. Is there any reason why it can?t be done on a g3r?

13 Replies 13

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should be able to do this just fine with the G3. The MWI codes in your switch... something like *72 on and *71 off or something like.. I forgot what Avaya is. Unity has the config code for the G3 on what the timing is with the G3. How do you plan to do the Unity Integration? Dialogic? PIMG?, etc..... With CallManager, they are using the TSP ports... with Avaya, you will not have that luxury... you will need some sort of media to connect Unity to the Avaya system. In the past, I have just using Dialogic boards with up to 24 ports of VM from the G3. Works fine. The G3 gives the DTMF to Unity and Unity and handle the rest.

hope this helps

Do I really need a Dialogic card or PIMG?

I believe the particular integration method that I provided a link for doesn?t not require any additional hardware, such as dialogic card or PIMG device. Has anyone successfully done this type of integration? http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a00803d22cd.shtml#cu_ip_phones

oh.. I see.. missed the diagram... So what you are trying to do is:

Avaya phone rings 4 times, rolls to the Unity voicemail pilot number which is pointed to the QSIG trunk, this then rolls to the CallManager, which then has to process the call as a number in Unity (route pattern). Unity *should* be able to pick this up via the TSP ports from CallManager and "see" the caller ID and DN from the QSIG trunk.

MWI signals might be a little tough, but QSIG is supposed to be able to foward these back and forth.

If the G3 can process Qsig exactly the same as the example in the link above, I'm sure it would work the same. Qsig, is Qsig. It does not change.

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

I got everything working except MWI on the Avaya phones. If anyone has any info on how to get MWI to work on Avaya phones via Unity/QSIG, please let me know. Thanks.

In Unity, when you get a new message, you will need to send the MWI code to the Avaya G3. I think they are something like *72 and *73... but you should be able to dialing into your G3 and look at the code that is used for MWI. This code is what you use for Unity to turn on/off MWI for those phones. QSIQ will pass this code in the data channel if you can pass it through.

In the config files built into Unity, if you select the Avaya integration in UTIM, it has the codes built in, but this is only for Avaya integratin to the switch. But if you use the Cisco IP with TSP, you don't get this option. Cisco IP phones will turn on/off mwi just fine.. because you using an Extension to dial. Unless you can change the avaya G3 to an extension number for the MWI code as same as the CCM

If the MWI over QSIG doesn't pan out for you (sorry, I don't have advice on how to get that going) then an alternative might be to add a single PBXLink for the sole purpose of sending MWI to the Avaya. There's more info on this type of configuration in the Appendices of each of the CCM-Unity integration guides. For example, see Figure 3 here...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_configuration_guide09186a00805f167d.html#wp1764617

-Eric

Good call on the PBXlink.. forgot about the stellar piece of art cisco provides for avaya..... it does work... just need a serial cable or Unity close to the PBX switch....

Thanks for the info. I made the MWI activation on/off codes the same in Avaya as what was already configured in the Unity/CCM integration. That don?t fix it but that was a good idea.

This is how it is currently configured: call comes into an Avaya phone -> if no one answers it routes to a voicemail pilot on CCM (via a QSIG trunk) which happens to be the same voicemail pilot that the Cisco IP phones use -> the mailbox answers/plays message and caller can leave a message.

This is where is gets confusing, now that the mailbox has a new message, how is Unity going to activate MWI? Does it dial the MWI on/off code then the extension number? If Unity dials the on/off code is CCM going to know how to pass it to Avaya?

I noticed that in UTIM there is an option to add a trunk access code for a PBX. What is the purpose of that and can I use it somehow?

I got an idea:

In the Subscriber Profile, in the "messages" section. You can try and add:

- where it says "x" use the actual extension of the the subscriber mailbox + the MWI code. 5555*72

Just to see if it turns it on..... maybe?? Otherwise I don't know if Unity is going to be able to distinguish what is a Cisco phone and what is an Avaya phone. The UTIM is the piece that is supposed to seperate the two systems. But what you are doing is joining them together via the CCM. Which you have working, but MWI is going to be tricky.

This is where the PBXlink would come in handy. You would install this onto the Unity box. Then change your Avaya subscriber from CCM integration to the PBXlink integration. Calls can still come in from CCM, but MWI signals will go out the PBXlink.

If you notice in the Subscriber profile, you can assign subscribers to different Integrations. This plays a huge part in MWI. I think what you are trying is a great stab at it... but I think you may be chasing your tail on this one with the MWI.

On the CallManager side, what happens when you dial an Avaya phone? Do you have a route or translation pattern setup? Because if there was a way to translate this example:

ext 4455 gets a new voicemail

Unity dials 4455 to CCM with MWI on code xxxx

CCM would translate and route this pattern as 4455 *72 to the Avaya switch. Avaya switch should turn on the light.

So basically, CCM is pushing the 4455 through the CAS T1, then add *72 to it as a translation from 4455 xxxx (xxxx being your callmanager MWI on code)

It's a stab in the dark... but that's the only, if it would work I can think off without the PBXlink.

good luck!

d.teal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Joe,

Did you ever figure out a way to get the MWI to work through a QSIG trunk?

Thanks,

Doug

Yes. It had to do with something on the Avaya configuration. Is that what you are integrating with?

I believe it had something to do with the TSC settings on the signaling group as well as the "protocol" on the Avaya DS1 configuration page (should be set to "b"). If you are intergrading with Avaya, post the Avaya config here and will take a look.

I'm fighting this MWI now, can you post the configs you used, I see the *4XXXX going out via a Q931 debug on the gateway and I see it come in on the Avaya QSIG trunk, but it wont lihgt the phone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: