Views
Helpful
Replies

Self Care Portal question

Jason Cox
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a client who uses a third party app for 911 call accounting/tracking purposes. This app pulls data from the description field so they want to lock the Self Care portal down so that the end users cannot change Phone descriptions. Checking under Enterprise Parameters I don't see a way to disable this - have I missed something?

Thanks,

Jason

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jason - I dont think there is no option to disable the description field in the self care portal. As you have pretty much explored the Enterprise parameters, the closes option is to disable the line text display - even if you disable that the description field is still there.

However, I have previously tested this and today as well did a quick test, if I update the description field it does not updates the phone description in CUCM or anywhere else in CUCM (line text label does update if thats updated). Can you try a quick test and verify on your system?

-Terry

Edit: Sorry editing my post, it cant be local as its pulling up details from phone description in first place, but somehow backwards update doesnt work on the system I did testing.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jason - I dont think there is no option to disable the description field in the self care portal. As you have pretty much explored the Enterprise parameters, the closes option is to disable the line text display - even if you disable that the description field is still there.

However, I have previously tested this and today as well did a quick test, if I update the description field it does not updates the phone description in CUCM or anywhere else in CUCM (line text label does update if thats updated). Can you try a quick test and verify on your system?

-Terry

Edit: Sorry editing my post, it cant be local as its pulling up details from phone description in first place, but somehow backwards update doesnt work on the system I did testing.

Terry, thanks for your post. I found the same behavior you did. It looks like the self care portal pulls in the description from CUCM then stores description changes users make somewhere else. Where it stores this information I cannot figure out - I was thinking initially that it was writing a cookie, but I made the change to the description in firefox then launched the self care portal in chrome and the change to the description was there. Maybe it writes it back to CUCM in a hidden config entry for the device? I might do a pcap if have time.

-Jason

I found this out, that the changes to the description fields does not update the CUCM description but as said before never had the need/time to figure this out. I did check all the line/phone/user fields in CUCM it was not sending the update anywhere. You can either try checking with Cisco or a pcap would also give some idea whats happening.

But it looks like in your case you should not have any problems with the description field as the change never makes to there but still a good idea to find out what exactly is happening.

-Terry