Views
Helpful
Replies

UC540 CUA - Cannot get to boot helper

mattbyrnes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have a UC500 that had a dead CF card in the CUA module. I have replaced that and want to reload the software via the bootloader method (hit *** whilst it's booting) but it's not even getting that far.

When I reset the module the following is output then it hangs:

-----------------------------

Trying to reset Service Module Integrated-Service-Engine0/0.

Cisco BootMon Version: 1.0.2
(Feb 27 2007 - 10:38:53) MPC83XX

Bootmon starts
Bootmon: cold reset.
System now booting.
Bootmon: reading primary bootloader image
Bootmon: calling bootloader

Cisco ServiceEngine Bootloader Version: 1.0.3
(Jul 6 2007 - 10:15:37) MPC83XX

-----------------------------

It will just sit there forever without giving me the option to hit ***.

Looking at the LEDs beside the internal CF slot (for the CUA) the two outside lights are flashing about twice a second and the lights between them scroll back and forth constantly.

My knowledge of these units is fairly limited so is there something I'm missing?

Is there a way to re-flash the boot loader at all?

Or is this a hardware fault?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the boot helper will not load, it sounds like a hardware problem. Just to verify, are you doing the following?

service-module in 0/0 reload
service-module in 0/0 session

Did you try *** even thought it is not prompting?

Brandon

Hi Brandon, thanks for your reply :)

Yes i'm doing that, but I even got crafty and had the session running in the serial console, telnet-ted in on a second session and ran the reload to ensure I'm not missing anything, either scenario ended the same.

And yes, I hit *** (and even repeatedly hit *) even though it didn't prompt. I was doing this from a laptop so didn't have the * key on the numpad, so was hitting shift+8, I'm assuming this is acceptable?

OK. I'm at a loss. If the boot helper will not load, it sounds like a hardware problem with the CUE module. The good news is you can find another UC500 fairly inexpensive from a number of sources.

Thanks Brandon

Do you think it would be something like one of the RAM chips that can be replaced or should I just toss the unit?

The interesting thing is that the rest of the system still works, i.e. the phones work fine, there's just no VM or AA. The problem is that CCA no longer works as it dies when it tries to pull any serious config (it's obviously trying to hit the VM module and getting nowhere).

This unit isn't in production at the moment so it's not a huge issue. 

Thanks for all your help :)

Not likely to be something replaceable. I've seen a couple of these where the WAN port stopped working. Like your case everything else worked fine. Unfortunately no way to repair.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: