Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified Personal Communicator IM not working

miguel.martinez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I`m having the following issue: in CUPS 7.0.5, when the users try to send a message to eachother they get the response:  [Person] did not receive your message because the message could not be sent. We are running CUCM 7.1.3 and both CUPS and CUCM are sync with LDAP. CUPC is version 7.1.1. I have checked multiple suggestions listed here and everything seems to be properly configured do you guys have any other idea? When I check the sniffer I also see error 489 event package not supported.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Hi Miguel,

I have seen this when there are DNS issues. In any case a sniffer traces is a good approach.

Try to sniff the client which sends an IM.It should go to CUP server, so you can sniff that box as well, and finally from CUP server it goes to the recipient client.

IM is just a SIP message containg the text the user typed. If it is ok for you and there is no sensitive data, you can upload the sniffer trace here.

Regards,

Christos

Hi Christos,

My name is Luis and I´m answering for Miguel, I have attached the sniffer files to this message so please take a look and let me know if you find anything.

Thanks

Hi Luis,

Thanks for the sniffer traces. If you check the SIP messages there, there is only one SIP message from both captures that merely sends the 'is composing' message to the other client (the notification which means that the other party is writing a message)

But I never actually see any messages being sent. Are you sure the sniffer capture was taken while trying to send an IM ?

The captures need to be taken at the same time. If it also possible to specify the ip address of the clients / presence that would be great.

Are we sure that the other user is online and available when sending an IM message ?

Is this intermittent or not ?

Does it happen to all users ?

As I said this is pretty easy to follow. You sniff all the parties involved (sending CUPC, CUP server and recipient CUPC) and then you see where the message disappears.

One common problem that I have seen in the past is slow DNS response time to the client request so it would be good to check if this is the case here.

Regards,

Christos

Hi Christos,

The IP addresses are the following:

10.100.12.92 is trying to send a message to 10.100.12.91, the CUPS IP address is 10.1.69.28 and the CUCM has the IP address 10.1.69.24. The sniffer was placed at the moment when the users were trying to send the message in both computers and the server. The server´s sniffer is located inside the file called traces CUP BNCR.

Thanks

Christos,

I forgot to tell you that in the moment in which the sniffer file was taken, both users were logged in CUPC and they were also available. The issue is happening everytime that the users on this network try to send a message to eachother.

Thanks