cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Greetings and Voice Names

julie.ma
Level 1
Level 1

I am running Unity 5.0 and have 4 servers; 2 primary + 2 failover. I see some Unity1 subscriber's greetings and voice names wav files show up on Unity2 server and vice versa. Under what senario will Unity sends the Greetings/Voice files over to the other server?

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only voice names replicate across servers (via the AD property for this) - greetings are not replicated around, they are only available on the home server the subscriber is created/home on.

Under what conditions will the voice names get replicate to the other servers? I think when the users initiate or change voice name or a broadcast to other servers? Also, when will Unity uses the local voice name wav file for play back? When user checks message property of a VM?

I have Unity1 running codec 711 and Unity2 running codec 729. That means, I will have mixture of 729 and 711 voice name files on the server. Do you have an issue with Unity having to do transcoding and if there is any performance impact?

When a subscriber or administrator rerecords a voice name it gets pushed to AD - AD will replicate that around over time (how long this takes depends on your topology) and each Unity server on your network that sees that AD user object will pull in the updated voice name - pretty straight forward.

The voice names for remote subscribers gets used for name confirmation when addressing/forwarding a message or indicating who send you a message (i.e. "message 7, a voice mail, from john smith") - the "john smith" there is their recorded voice name pulled in from the directory.

The transcoding overhead for 729a to 711 or vice versa is very, very small - especially for such small wav files. Changing everything to 729a will save you a little space in AD which is sometimes important to folks but the transcoding overhead is not big enough to be a reason to standardize on one codec on its own.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: