cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade and Migrate a CUCM cluster 9.1 to another CUCM cluster 11.5

akhil_yadav
Level 1
Level 1

I need to migrate CUCM 9.1 (1 Pub and 1 Sub) to another CUCM 11.5 (1 Pub and 2 Sub). Nodes of CUCM 9.1 need to be upgraded to 11.5 and added as Subscribers to another CUCM cluster 11.5.

What could be the most convenient approach and solution ? Please help.

7 Replies 7

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Hi,

if I would need to do that, I would do the following:

- If really needed, I would install the 2 extra nodes in the 11.5 cluster (lets say cluster1) before anything else

- Upgrade 9.1 cluster (lets say cluster2) to the same 11.5 version --> To have the same database version and objects in both clusters

- Export the data like phones, users, directory numbers from cluster2

- In the export, edit the necessary fields with Excel

- Import the data in cluster1

- Update the config in cluster1 (e.g. call routing), on voice gateways, 3rd party systems connected to cluster1, ...

- When migration is finished, delete cluster2

--- Please rate this post as "Helpful" or accept as a solution, if your question has been answered ---

@b.winter wrote:

Hi,

if I would need to do that, I would do the following:

- If really needed, I would install the 2 extra nodes in the 11.5 cluster (lets say cluster1) before anything else

- Upgrade 9.1 cluster (lets say cluster2) to the same 11.5 version --> To have the same database version and objects in both clusters

- Export the data like phones, users, directory numbers from cluster2

- In the export, edit the necessary fields with Excel

- Import the data in cluster1

- Update the config in cluster1 (e.g. call routing), on voice gateways, 3rd party systems connected to cluster1, ...

- When migration is finished, delete cluster2

--- Please rate this post as "Helpful" or accept as a solution, if your question has been answered ---

Hi @b.winter ,

Thank you very much for the reply and suggesting a solution.

I have a query that if I build new subscribers on cluster 1 (11.5) and replicate cluster 2's (9.1) configuration on new subscribers, why would I need to upgrade 9.1 cluster to 11.5 ?

Could you please advise ?

@akhil_yadav wrote:

if I build new subscribers on cluster 1 (11.5) and replicate cluster 2's (9.1) configuration on new subscribers

How do you plan to achieve this?

Response Signature

As @Roger Kallberg asked: How would you do that?

It's not possible, to replicate data from one cluster to another. Replication is only available between the Pub and the Subs within a single cluster.

Sorry for the ambiguity @b.winter @Roger Kallberg , by replication, I did not mean database replication, but I meant copy/clone the data from cluster 2 (9.1) to cluster 1 (11.5), using bulk or manually doing some configuration. Do I still need to upgrade cluster 2 to 11.5 to do that ?

Actually , I am looking for a single cluster approach. Instead of having 2 different cucm 11.5 clusters, I am willing to merge nodes of cluster 2 (9.1) into cluster 1 (11.5).

For bulk yes as the format of the export or import data is not the same between the two versions. If it is a big or complex installation with multiple sites and many devices Cisco Advanced Services has developed a tool that can help you with this without the pain of either manually "move" the data or trying to bulk it in with the standard native options. If this is of interest reach out to your account team at Cisco to discuss this.

Response Signature

Do I still need to upgrade cluster 2 to 11.5 to do that ? --> It is advisable, because the 9.1 export probably won't have the same tables, as the 11.5 export has.

But you could also use an example export of the 11.5 CUCM, and then only copy the relevant data from the 9.1 export into the 11.5 export and import that customized 11.5 file.

"Actually , I am looking for a single cluster approach. Instead of having 2 different cucm 11.5 clusters, I am willing to merge nodes of cluster 2 (9.1) into cluster 1 (11.5)."

--> I'm not sure, if that is really possible at all. On the other hand, why should anyone do that? Just add more fresh nodes to the existing cluster. The only thing that's needed is VM resources.

What is impossible is merging CUCM nodes with different versions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: